Major Cadillac dealership rip off attempt

Status
Not open for further replies.
Quote:

I feel I can hardly expect anyone to believe this story. But it's true.

I called a GM dealership for the price on an O2 sensor for my Metro... $800!!
crazy.gif

I just about fell out of my chair. No, I didn't buy it.

At least my headlights are $15 apiece.

IIRC, the ACDelco sensors on RockAuto are 170-208 each. You have 2 of them. That plus dealer markup and labor would equal $800. Which is why when faced with the choice of spending $800 at the dealer, or buying 20 sensors at a junkyard at $5 each and hope 2 of them work, you know I'm gonna walk out of PicknPull with a bag full of sensors and a tired wrist from pulling them.

I have the same issue with dealer markup on the electrical relays in my Intrepid. The dealer wants $17 apiece for the nine relays under the hood. That's $153. I can buy a bag full of relays at PickNPull for $5. Have a couple dozen in the trunk. And if one doesn't work, I'm out what, 30 cents? And I have skads more in the bag ready to try.

Last edited:
Quote:

The parts fit in the palm of my hand and cost 211 dollars. If they were Camaro parts they would have cost 6 bucks.

When I did the brakes on a Chevy G20 van remanufactured calipers were only $6!

Thankfully I have yet to find a really expensive regular replacement part on my truck. The worst thing will be the spark plugs and wires since I have eight of them on a four cylinder engine.

Quote:

IIRC, the ACDelco sensors on RockAuto are 170-208 each. You have 2 of them. That plus dealer markup and labor would equal $800.

My Metro is a 94, only one sensor. A quick look at Rockauto shows a couple ACDelco sensors for it, one $85 and one $170. Those are the heated 4-wire ones... they also list unheated ones for $20 but mine is heated.

I'm pretty sure that $800 quote was not including installation but I didn't bother asking.

Quote:

what kind of healight takes a $116 bulb? if that bulb was made out of sterling silver is probably still wouldnt be worth 116. i wouldnt own a car that has such expensive parts. my headlight bulbs cost $4.00 at walmart for a 2 pack and thats the way it should be.

Phillips D2H or D2R HID bulb. Most cars with HID's use one or the other. $116 is a great price for one. Supposed to be lifetime, but stuff happens (like water in the housing).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back