Maintenance on 2007 Silverado

Status
Not open for further replies.
I was off work today so I decided to pull some good ole PM on the 07 Silverado. She's a 4x4 crew cab and I bought her new last year. Total mileage is 11xxx. She's had a total of 3 oil changes, by me of course!
1) I drained and filled tranny with Castrol DexVI, no issues with old fluid.
2) Changed the oil. Used Royal Purple 5W30, and a Mobil1 filter
3) Changed Transfer case lube. This stuff is the proprietary GM Auto Trac II. A lil dirty, no issues.
4) Front and rear differentials drained. This is the reason I'm glad I did it. The magnet from the front diffy had a"beard", and the lube from BOTH was FILTHY!! I replaced the lube with Royal Purple 75W90.
I can rest assured knowing she has some good stuff in her now. P.S. Sorry I havent posted in a while. My last post was an auto rx treatment of my old S10. I posted pics. That stuff works! I got the Silverado by trading in that S10. Kinda miss it in a way!

Great job!!!!!!

The Diffs & Xfer cases we have get dirty easy and I had a tail of shavings on my front diff plug........

Changing differential and xfer case lube at only 11k miles? Is that your normal interval or just taking extra care to get out all the break-in shavings?

I'm just getting the break in stuff out of her. Glad I did. Lots of filth gotten rid of!! I do a bit of boat towing during the warm months.

Originally Posted By: rationull
Changing differential and xfer case lube at only 11k miles? Is that your normal interval or just taking extra care to get out all the break-in shavings?

Yes and I 100% support him. If he wants this baby to last a long time, it is the thing to do.
thumbsup2.gif

I've got a really dumb question, but here goes:

I always have changed out the rear diff fluid on pickups I have owned but not on the small front wheel drive cars I own. I haven't looked at my Corolla, but is this something that is done on small cars? I always hear diff fluid change in the context of a pickup truck.

Thanks!

I have a 2006 Sierra 1500 4x2 with 15k mi and had been thinking of leaving the original diff fluid in for 60k mi before changing it.

Reading the various posts above makes me think that perhaps I should change the fluid now.

BTW I baby my truck

I say from my experience, change it early, then go with whatever change interval is appropriate. I was surprised at the amount of break-in stuff was in there.

Originally Posted By: Saturn_Fan

I always have changed out the rear diff fluid on pickups I have owned but not on the small front wheel drive cars I own. I haven't looked at my Corolla, but is this something that is done on small cars? I always hear diff fluid change in the context of a pickup truck.

Thanks!

Well if it's a front wheel drive car, there is no rear differential, and the front differential is most of the time built into the transmission. (Most FWD cars don't have transmissions, they have transaxles) So when you change the transmission fluid, you're also changing the diff fluid.

Originally Posted By: exranger06
Originally Posted By: Saturn_Fan

Thanks!

Well if it's a front wheel drive car, there is no rear differential, and the front differential is most of the time built into the transmission. (Most FWD cars don't have transmissions, they have transaxles) So when you change the transmission fluid, you're also changing the diff fluid.

Yes Saturn, I emailed Bill asking the same thing a while back and he said the same exact thing. Ranger is correct. I had never done tranny fluid on a car before I got my corolla, it is very simple. takes 2 quarts on the nose. I used amsoil 75w90 manual transmission and tranaxle gear lube GL-4 from pablo. Easy as an oil change (well except putting the new fluid in, have to use a tube and a funnel, or what I did is at 2200 miles drained the ff, replaced with coastal 75w90 and drained that at 10K and poured the amsoil into the rinsed out coastal bottles as I could not find a funnel with a spout small enough to fit into the tube and spquirted it SLOWLY down the tube)

Originally Posted By: therealdeal770
You got the new body style 07 or the classic.

Mine is the classic. What's yours?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back