Maintaining power-sport batteries

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've got a shop full of various power-sport toys with low Ah batteries.

What is the best style of charger to keep these batteries in shape?

The shop rarely gets below 50 in the winter or above 80 in the summer,so I'm not sure how critical temperature compensating is.

Being low Ah,maybe temperature compensating is critical at those temps?

If it truly stays in that range, then the criticality may be less. However the infrequent use means they'll be floated a LOT to keep life, which would emphasize getting the float voltage right.

You don't need a charger greater than 2A

For float voltage in temperatures that aren't extremely hot the top chargers know how to maintain the battery. Pro Logix, Ctek, Noco and battery tender come to mind. Depending on your budget a battery bank would be useful since you have more than one battery to maintain.

If you just had one battery to maintain I might recommend this.

SOLAR PL2140 6/12 Volt 4.0 Amp PRO-LOGIX Battery Maintainer

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00U3ZBU2E/ref=cm_sw_r_other_awd_jXm4wbK476R6Z

Or if you need 4 batteries you could get this.

Genius G4 6V - 12V 4 Bank Smart Charger for Car Battery 6v/12v https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00METVHV6/ref=cm_sw_r_other_awd_AYm4wbECPE1VN

There's also battery banks for 2 or 3 batteries if you want one cheaper

The colder it gets… the slower the battery discharges, start from Yuasa's tech manual. The only concern is if temps get so low that the electrolyte might freeze. High temps are the worst.

That said, I keep my "toy's" batteries maintained with a battery maintainer/float type charger. I got mine at Cycle Gear for $20 or so and its rated at 1 or 2 A (max). I connect my batteries about once a month… so far haven't had battery issues.

My next charger will be a CTEK MUS, fully automated, temp compensated, and various charging profiles ~$70. I still have an old Snap-On charger/booster that can charge large batteries, quickly and boost/start vehicles (somewhere near 100A max).

For batteries that are only 3-4Ah, would I be better off to get something like the Battery Tender Jr @ .75A or something capable of slightly more amps?

My plan was to buy a handful of the BTJ for $100 and be done.

The Ctek XS 0.8 are more expensive for what looks like basically the same thing.

3-4 ah? Power sport batteries are usually 15-20 ah. Those are tiny. The battery tender junior is fine for maintaining any small battery that the chemistry/voltage is rated for. You could even use it on car batteries but it would take longer to charge a bigger one, maintaining any battery will be fine though.

Do you already have a 12 volt charger for bringing up dead batteries too?

Originally Posted By: 901Memphis
3-4 ah? Power sport batteries are usually 15-20 ah. Those are tiny.

Do you already have a 12 volt charger for bringing up dead batteries too?

The biggest battery in the bunch is for my WR450. Its only 6Ah.

I don't currently have a charger that's more than 1.25A. That's a Battery Tender Plus I keep hooked up the batteries in my boat.

I have a battery Tender 1,25amps . I have had 3 quad batteries 2 lawn mower batteries all hooked up at the same time using jumper wires to parallel all of the batteries.

I bought a Noco G750 locally the other day. I have it connected to my WR450. I don't like the size of the unit itself. Its large enough that it partially blocks the second receptacle,making it impossible to use the outlet for anything other than the G750

I'd return it,but its considered electronics and the power-sport dealer won't accept it.

I considered a charging bank for the other batteries. Nothing reasonably priced had long enough leads to conveniently connect all the batteries without removing them from the bikes. That,and it was a bit cheaper to buy multiple single units.

I ended up with a few Noco G1100 maintainers. I found a good deal on Ebay. They should do everything I need.

Originally Posted By: Stewart Fan
I bought a Noco G750 locally the other day. I have it connected to my WR450. I don't like the size of the unit itself. Its large enough that it partially blocks the second receptacle,making it impossible to use the outlet for anything other than the G750

I'd return it,but its considered electronics and the power-sport dealer won't accept it.

I considered a charging bank for the other batteries. Nothing reasonably priced had long enough leads to conveniently connect all the batteries without removing them from the bikes. That,and it was a bit cheaper to buy multiple single units.

I ended up with a few Noco G1100 maintainers. I found a good deal on Ebay. They should do everything I need.
Just plug it into a surge protector or an extension cord

It's plugged into an extension cord. It's still silly to make the unit just big enough to block the use of the other receptacle

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back