Maintaining clear headlights

Status
Not open for further replies.
Slick Mist works just as good as the other spray wax/detailers. Best after a car wash
thumbsup2.gif

Originally Posted By: SavagePatch
Meguiar's just released a new product for 2017 that specifically addresses this issue (it was formerly only available as part of a restoration kit). I'll be trying it out once Amazon has it back in Stock for $10.

Keep Clear Headlight Coating

I wonder how it is different from their previous "Headlight Protector" product that included UV protection? The only notable difference I can see is that the product states it works for 1 year while the old one says nothing. I also see that the same new protector product is also part of a new two step system they have put out.

https://www.amazon.com/Meguiars-G2970-St...X645PQHPDBME1KF

I should note that I've been using the aforementioned "Headlight Protector" now for four years (annual application) and have not had any yellowing or other issues on two different cars of mine.

Last edited:
I put a set of clear film covers from Weathertech on my old F-150 and it held up great for 5 years, no yellowing. You can get them from companies like 3M and Lamin-X, too. They're not cheap, though. But for a new car, I think they're worth it.

Originally Posted By: tspangle88
I put a set of clear film covers from Weathertech on my old F-150 and it held up great for 5 years, no yellowing. You can get them from companies like 3M and Lamin-X, too. They're not cheap, though. But for a new car, I think they're worth it.

The headlight protection film on a new car is the way to go. I have 10 years and 165,000 on my Sonata. They were the first thing I put on the car at 1 week old. Lights are still perfectly clear. Hood, bumper, license plate all sand blasted and chipped but not the lights.

Sequoia was 3 years old when I did that. lights are still clear with 10-11 years since install. The "non protected" top edge by hood is definitely oxidized and hazed but I try to wax that as often as possible. My Aunts same year Sequoia is horrible with less miles. You can barely see anything. She doesn't want me to touch it, nit my problem.

I got them both from Headlight Armor and will be buying some this week for my father-in-laws 3 day old Jeep Renegade.

Last edited:
You can feel some slight roughness on the vinyl from all the impacts. I could replace for $55 but as you see, still clear. Water streak is I just used my hand to wipe it since it's misting and [censored] weather. They have links to youtube install videos. Not hard at all, a little work for very curved lights.

20170103_085718_zpsmcczmqf6.jpg

I have no idea how to prevent them from yellowing, but I do know once I've restored them, they are easy to keep clear simply by using a good polish on them by hand every 2 or 3 months. I hit mine every couple of months with Meguiar's 205 and they stay clear...

Here's my aunt's Avalon. I turned off the feature for DRL, so that the heat of DRL won't make them yellow. It's got garaged parking at her house and work.

nzqfip.jpg

I must say, there has to be some different plastic and/or coatings used from the factory. My Tacoma started to fade, so I cleaned them up, MANY TIMES.They will fog up in around 30 days or so, no matter what I clean with or coat with. It's been just over a month since I cleaned them, and two weeks since I coated them with UV protectant, and they are so fogged up, you can't see the bulbs at all thru the top half of the lens.

I usually spray wax them when I wash my car. Unfortunately I have had seal issues with the Equinox which has resulted in internal water versus external issues. Either way the outside of my headlights have always looked good with my method.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back