Maint/repair costs per mile

TiGeo

$50 site donor 2024
I keep track of all my vehicles in a spreadsheet which makes it easy to do some calculations. Here's my fleet and the $/mile etc. for each since I've owned them and the years/miles are estimated to keep the years whole numbers:

Capture.JPG

Of course the W8 is an expensive car to own so no suprise there as it approaches 20 years old. Lots of large repairs and maintenance bits. ~$1/mile....AHHAHAAHA Folks aren't lying when they say run when you say you want one! I love it.

The Lexus was my folks' vehicle and is now my 18 year old High Schooler's. Tires/battery/f+r brakes and the oil cooler line all add up to be a lot for the few years we've had it as my folks didn't do much beyond fluid changes and basic things and it was in need when they gave it to us but it was free so zero cares given. Should be solid for years to come.

My daily is the Sportwagen which is heavily modded with lots of different tires, brake pads, and a water pump/thermostat just out of warranty plus somewhat excessive maintenance as I beat the crap out of it, track, etc. so that is no surprise either. It would be in-line with the Atlas if not I think - the water pump is part of a class action lawsuit that I have submitted info for as it's v. common to fail and I hope to get my $1,150 back at some point...we'll see!

Atlas is my wife's daily and is still under the amazing post-dieselgate 6/72 warranty so I expect the cost to be low - tires/battery/f. brakes is about it out of pocket for major non-oil change type costs.

Focus is unreal - such a great car for my oldest who is in college. Manual helps that one out as the DCT was a hot mess. Never regret buying this as my daily commuter.

Let's see yours if you want to participate!

Disclaimer - my costs are purely maintenance/repairs. No washer fluid. No car washes/supplies. No upgrades etc. Only things I have to do to operate it.

Last edited:
Current Fleet:

2016 F150 - 93,000 miles on it, 6+ years old. Maint cost per mile: $0.06
2021 Ford Explorer - 17,000 ,miles, 1+ year old. Maint cost per mile: $0.11

Past Fleet:
2007 Explorer - 160,000 miles (Bought used, 81,000 miles in our ownership, sold 2021): Maint cost per mile: $0.14
2004 F150 - 184,000 miles (Bought used, 77,000 miles in our ownership, sold 2016): Maint Cost per mile $0.15
1999 F150 - 174,000 miles (Bought used, 112,000 miles in our ownership, sold 2011): Maint Cost per mile $0.07
1997 Explorer - 177,000 miles (bought used, 48,000 miles in our ownership, sold 2012): Maint Cost per mile: $0.13
1988 Jeep Cherokee - 130,000 miles (bought used, 84,000 miles in our ownership, sold 2012 ): Maint cost per mile: $0.13

Disclosure: These costs include car washes (which I tend to get a lot of in the winter), accessories (splashguards, all weather mats, bed cover, bed liners, etc...) and snow tire and wheel packages. That's why the Explorer is still high - the snow tire package was not cheap... and not a lot of miles to spread it over yet.

Last edited:
I like this. I will do just Malibu as it is easy. Purchased at 4,983 miles, so lets just say 5,000
2 oil changes a year, set of brakes, set of plugs, 2 transmission drain and fills 1 set of tires.

7 years $3000.00 for all of that. (I didn't take into account gas, registration, 3 years of payments or things like that) 420.80 per year.
We have put 70,000 miles on it. About .04 cents a mile. It has just been an easy car to run.

I like this. I will do just Malibu as it is easy. Purchased at 4,983 miles, so lets just say 5,000
2 oil changes a year, set of brakes, set of plugs, 2 transmission drain and fills 1 set of tires.

7 years $3000.00 for all of that. (I didn't take into account gas, registration, 3 years of payments or things like that) 420.80 per year.
We have put 70,000 miles on it. About .04 cents a mile. It has just been an easy car to run.
Nice! Yeah, this isn't total ownership costs b/c that would require insruance, taxes, registration, loan costs, etc. Just maint/repairs. 1 set of tires for 7 years is amazing.

I will do the Caprice too
Nice! Yeah, this isn't total ownership costs b/c that would require insruance, taxes, registration, loan costs, etc. Just maint/repairs. 1 set of tires for 7 years is amazing.
First ones made it to just over 40,000, the ones on there are due soon.
I want to do the Caprice because it keeps track of total fuel used (fleet stuff). I have personally used 3500 gallons in 6 years.

2014 Caprice 6.0/6L80E. 8 quart oil changes 2 a year, 2 sets of brakes, 2 sets of tires, 1 transmission fluid exchange, 1 drop and fill, 1 rear diff fluid change, 1 battery.
Purchased in 2016 with 12,000 miles. Now at 68,000. 6 years of ownership.
5000.00 dollars to run it. 833.33 dollars a year. So about 15 cents a mile. Now if I added gas....well lets say I pay on average 4.20 a gallon for premium x 3500 gallons...14,700 dollar in gas over 6 years. 2450.00 dollars a year. I choose to ignore this...

I also did not take into account the elective cam swap for I guess good times...
That cost about 2800 with tune.

gas is surely a variable as is insurance, as more costly cars are more to insure + depending on where you live. i see posts on what some pay for work at the stealers as well as better big city independents + i am happy to live modestly in a smaller town!! i recently posted i paid $400 labor only for a clutch job on my 2011 fronty 4WD pickup from my honest local fair priced independent that does great work!!

2014 Kia Forte (8.25 y.o. now) bought new, maint cost including tires, 4 shocks, 2x spark plugs, 2x brakes, 3x ATF changes, oil etc: C$2585.50 translates to C$313 a year or C$0.018 per km or US$0.011 per mile.

M&R for my 2012 Mazda3 purchased about 93k miles ago has been $1888
So pretty much $0.02/mile

Total costs other than insurance are $0.22/mile, that's purchase, M&R, fuel, tax, title and tags. So M&R is about 10% of my cost per mile.

gas is surely a variable as is insurance, as more costly cars are more to insure + depending on where you live. i see posts on what some pay for work at the stealers as well as better big city independents + i am happy to live modestly in a smaller town!! i recently posted i paid $400 labor only for a clutch job on my 2011 fronty 4WD pickup from my honest local fair priced independent that does great work!!
Yes gas/insurance/taxes - not for this thread as that's where total ownership cost analysis really comes in but some of that varies on the state you live in. I like keeping it to maint./repair costs only.

M&R for my 2012 Mazda3 purchased about 93k miles ago has been $1888
So pretty much $0.02/mile

Total costs other than insurance are $0.22/mile, that's purchase, M&R, fuel, tax, title and tags. So M&R is about 10% of my cost per mile.
That is unreal to me. Tires?

Don't forget wipers, cabin filters, air filters, etc.!

Good grief, what did you spend $11,000 on in 2 years for the Passat? Assume you take it to a shop and not DIY? That's many times what it's worth. Does it have sentimental value?
Clearly you don't know what a W8 Passat is..hahahahaha. I bought this as a fun always-wanted to have car a few years ago off an auction site for cars like this. They are incredibly expensive to work on/maintain like many older Euro luxury cars. I have DIY'd some but a lot of that is through a shop that has the knowledge/ability to service it correctly as well as locate parts many of which are v. hard to find at this point (some not even made anymore so have to go used/make them). This car is likely worth about $10K or more at this point due to it's rarity/notarity if I sold it on an auction site for enthusiasts - it is in great condition for one of these. The W8 engine has only ever been put in this vehicle. Many repairs require engine removal (thank God I haven't been down that road yet). For example...thermostat. That's an $850 part my friend....you don't own one of these without expectations of what it costs. No different than any older/collector car in terms of why I own it and the cost I pay.

Behold the beast! Exhaust note is one of a kind!
20220424_134043.jpg

20220721_161545.jpg

Last edited:
My Foci are in the .04 repairs per mile range too, but that's me buying most parts and installing them. The Outback has been about .04 per mile too, a set of brakes, spark plugs, diff and cvt fluids all done at the dealer. I guess neither is no Passat W8 wagon though! (thankfully)
Thanks TiGeo for preserving a car like that, I'm sure not many have made it this long, and I believe it's kind of an automotive oddity of the VW group transferring R&D costs between its makes?

Clearly you don't know what a W8 Passat is..hahahahaha. I bought this as a fun always-wanted to have car a few years ago off an auction site for cars like this. They are incredibly expensive to work on/maintain like many older Euro luxury cars. I have DIY'd some but a lot of that is through a shop that has the knowledge/ability to service it correctly as well as locate parts many of which are v. hard to find at this point. This car is likely worth about $10K or more at this point due to it's rarity/notarity. The W8 engine has only ever been put in this vehicle. Many repairs require engine removal (thank God I haven't been down that road yet). For example...thermostat. That's an $850 part my friend....
On contrare,

01.jpg

so yes, I'm quite familiar with the car. While it's a very nice model, there are other VAG cars of that era I'd be more inclined to put that much into such as a 2003 Audi RS6. Costs just a little bit more but has a lot more entertainment factor. Just my opinion and not a critique of your choice.

My Foci are in the .04 repairs per mile range too, but that's me buying most parts and installing them. The Outback has been about .04 per mile too, a set of brakes, spark plugs, diff and cvt fluids all done at the dealer. I guess neither is no Passat W8 wagon though! (thankfully)
Thanks TiGeo for preserving a car like that, I'm sure not many have made it this long, and I believe it's kind of an automotive oddity of the VW group transferring R&D costs between its makes?
There aren't many of these around mainly for the reason you can see....a lot of money to do it right and fix what needs to be fixed. The first rule of W8 club is...fix the W8 and drive it!

On contrare,

View attachment 113754
so yes, I'm quite familiar with the car. While it's a very nice model, there are other VAG cars of that era I'd be more inclined to put that much into such as a 2003 Audi RS6. Costs just a little bit more but has a lot more entertainment factor. Just my opinion and not a critique of your choice.
Got it and that's a great looking one - sport package 2-piece BBS wheels are great. I always wanted one of these so when I had the money for it a few years ago I did it. I basically had the shop fix and do any maintenance that was necessary which was a lot. It's been towed from my house once for a bad cam pos. sensor. I figured by your reply you weren't familar as most folks that have had these or follow them/know about them know how notoriously expensive they are to own. I have an entertaining car in the Sportwagen, the W8 is pure cool-factor! It's a great cruiser. The older Audis of that generation are great but money pits nonetheless - B5 S4 comes to mind.

Capture.JPG

Back