Mahle OC 981 after12.119km in a Saab 9-5 (B205E)

Status
Not open for further replies.
The 9-5 has crossed the 200.000km-mark. Last weekend I changed oil (again). I also took an oil sample, which right now is in the mail to the laboratory; the results will be published after I finish the article series "The engine failure simulant: a drama in three acts" on my blog.
grin.gif

The facts:
- Saab 9-5 2.0 LPT, B205E
- Vialle LPi
- OCI: Shell Helix Ultra 0w-40 + Mahle OC 981; 12.119km (7532 miles).

Compared to Mann w712/80 or Hengst H90W12, the Mahle OC 981 is quite enormous. (Why am I visualizing Kohl and Mitterand right now?)

imgp1350.jpg

Here the Mahle cut open:

imgp8821.jpg

imgp8824.jpg

imgp8823.jpg

ADBV and centre tube:

imgp8830.jpg

bypass valve:

imgp8832.jpg

Here is the filter element in comparison to a Mann w712/80:

imgp8833.jpg

Mahle with perfect build quality, no excess glue and perfectly straight pleats, also quite larger. However, the Mann has significantly more pleats. Which one has the larger filter area is something I have not yet determined. (But without any information on the media, this would not tell us much). Also note the differences in the ADBV.

More pictures and some text (german) can be found in the article on my blog:
https://turboseize.wordpress.com/2017/07/04/oelfilter-mahle-oc-981/

Last edited:
Turboseize,

Thankyou very much for taking the time to make this excellent post of the MAHLE oil filter.

I use MAHLE filters in my AUDI and VW cars as well as my BMW motorcycle and I am pleased to find your efforts support that MAHLE is a reputable manufacturer.

Thank you for posting
thumbsup2.gif

I like seeing the European filters cut open. You don't see too many of them on here. One more thing to notice is that the Mahle can is shiny, while the Hengst is dull.

Does Purflux make a filter for this application? The one with the wavy pleats?

Quote:
Does Purflux make a filter for this application? The one with the wavy pleats?

Yes, they do. And it is currently in use on my 900 turbo. I am really looking forward to seeing how this OCi plays out, especially as I am going ultra thin on the 900 and use Shell HU 0w-30 AV-L.
However, before I can drive it any further and complete the OCI, some square metres of steel will have to be welded... TÜV is not happy with it's current state.

The 9-5, on the other hand, needs a completely new chassis (bushings, shocks...). We'll see which car will be back on the road first.

Last edited:
Excellent job turboseize! It's nice to see filters that aren't cut open very often on here.

Does MAHLE provide any micron rating for their paper filter elements?

I was unable to find any reference at all on the US/English websites when I was searching for motorcycle oil filters...and their air filters also.

Thanks

Last edited:
Mmmmmm, looks like a cover girl photo shoot. I have never seen one of these cut open before. Thanks for the nice photos!

Originally Posted By: ArcticDriver

I was unable to find any reference at all on the US/English websites when I was searching for motorcycle oil filters...and their air filters also.

Thanks

Filtration efficiency data seems to be very hard to come by with european manufacturers. I have not looked into Mahle, but neither for the Mann w712/80 nor for the Purflux LS 245 or the Hengst H90W12 have I been able to find something...

Originally Posted By: turboseize
Originally Posted By: ArcticDriver

Thanks

Filtration efficiency data seems to be very hard to come by with european manufacturers. I have not looked into Mahle, but neither for the Mann w712/80 nor for the Purflux LS 245 or the Hengst H90W12 have I been able to find something...

Thanks for the follow-up.

I have confidence that a filter as well built as my MAHLEs are will apply the same quality to their filter media.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back