Magnetic drain plug

Status
Not open for further replies.
If you have a magnetic drain plug, where did you get it? I've found a site which seems to have pretty good quality ones http://www.magneticdrainplug.com.
on that site they mention how black magnets won't last as long and are harder to clean.. does it really matter that much?

I was going to get one until I realized the only thing that sticks to a magnet is carbon steel. A magnet can't pick up aluminum, lead, copper, chrome or nickel. So probably the only engines that would benefit are those with gear driven cams.

If one were going to go the magnet route, it makes more sense to me to use the magnets that strap onto the oil filter, as there would be the possibility of a stronger magnetic field (just guessing really) in the right location. On the whole, it seems a bit pointless for an engine with a decent oil filter.

Does it matter? I wouldn't think so - that's why you have an oil filter. On the other hand for a manual tranny and differential, a magnetic plug does retain that ferrous stuff.

I had to get a new drain plug for my buick as the one that was on there was getting stripped. The guy at Autozone handed me a magnetic one for two bucks. He said it was the only one they had for the 3.1 engine.

It picks up quite a bit of crud, more than you'd think it should. But I wouldn't go out of my way to buy one.

I am not comfortable with magnetizing metallic particles in my engine. Who knows where they will end up?

I don't understand the aversion to mag drain plugs?

Anything that'll keep metallic bits out of oil circulation is a good thing. OK, they don't collect lots of debris but doesn't every little bit help?

I mean Jeez we agonize over a ppm or two of metals detected in a UOA!

For most of us it's a needless expense - spend it elsewhere. The extra cleaning effect from the magnet is negligible. The main useful purpose I see for this product is for fleet mechanics that need an early warning system to know when an engine has a serious problem. If you expect more from magnetic drain plugs you're fooling yourself.

I do think magnetic drin plugs are a good idea for manual transmissions and differentials that have no filters.

"on the magnet"

Hopefully.

Isn't there a chance that particles will pass near the magnet, become magnetized but flow carries them away before reaching the surface of the magnet? Hmm?

GM uses a magnetic drain plug on the Cavalier but I don't ever see much on it, so my guess would be if you do your maintenance it really doesn't matter much. However if I had to replace a plug anyway, then I would get the magnetic one because it does pick up some particles.

Had one of these on the JEEP. Does exactly what it says, and pictures are identical the first two/three changes, then declines. Found it thru a discussion we had here several years.

SUPER PLUG
http://www.superplug.com/home.html

Metal won't get away from this. You can easily hold a heavy pipe wrench with it. Nor will you lose it, just leave stuck to pan side until OFL done and you are ready to re-install.

This is light years better than the chain store cheapies that seem to fall apart.

When the JEEP was totalled I seriously considered trying to remove it at the body shop, but could see no easy way w/o making a mess. I spent about an hour removing the rest of the non-damaged items I had added.

Well I didn't realize that some would view the magnetic plug as a bad thing, makes me think twice about getting one..

I was shocked to see it didn't have a magnetic one from the factory, my uncles 04 silverado has one..

quote:

Originally posted by Kestas:
For most of us it's a needless expense - spend it elsewhere. The extra cleaning effect from the magnet is negligible. The main useful purpose I see for this product is for fleet mechanics that need an early warning system to know when an engine has a serious problem. If you expect more from magnetic drain plugs you're fooling yourself.

I do think magnetic drin plugs are a good idea for manual transmissions and differentials that have no filters.

I couldn't have said it better myself.

My 2.4 Litre '99 Malibu engine came with one stock from GM. When the engine was breaking in, it picked up a good wad of stuff . . . less now. I like having it for a quick visual reference.

My GM suv's have all had them on the engine drain plug & differentials...best idea ever especially when you do that first oil change....catches lots of debris. Harey Davidsons have them on their drain plugs too....same deal. Plus if you have say 50,000 miles and start to notice a lot of metal build up you know it's time to trade that sucker in.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back