Magnetic drain plug report - engine oil

Status
Not open for further replies.
I had debated for years and finally bought a dimple. Very high quality and strong magnet. I have no issues with the quality.

Some background info:
We have a 2014 Tuscon with a 2.4 L engine and couple other models with same engine have been recalled or had issues with "left-over metal shavings at the Georgia plant" ... true or not idk, there are debates on the internet that something else maybe going on ...
our engine was built in Korea but I decided to try the magnetic plug anyways since the drain plug also fits my other older car and it's not expensive.
did not buy it necessarily for the shavings since they maybe aluminum and our car was not built in Georgia either. Also after 70K miles on car who knows where the shavings are (old oil filters?) if any ...

Anyways I put the plug on about 6 months ago.
I recently changed the engine oil
It has been 6 months and 7413 miles with M1 EP 10Wx30 since I installed the magnetic plug.
Car has about 71K miles on it.

Results:
plug had zero and I mean ZERO paste or any sign of anything ... nothing!!!
It looked as good as new. I have pictures but you may as well look at pictures of a new plug.
There was only 1 very thin ( much thinner than hair) and about 1mm long shaving. It looked like the threads of dimple (chrome color). I had to look really hard to find it.

what's up with that and ZERO paste??? I was expecting some or at least a little paste based on what I've seen or heard from others!

p.s.
OEM drain plug went back in
grin2.gif

Last edited:
I noticed pretty much the same thing with my Hyundai when I first added my magnetic plug. Over a few oil changes, I'd see a very little bit of paste from time to time, but for the most part it was and still is nothing.

I have one in my Liberty, there was nothing on it either since I installed it three OCI's ago. I think I'm going to switch back the OE drain plug when I change the oil again.

Originally Posted by Triple_Se7en
Better chance of getting slivers in the cold-start winter, than in the summer.
I think you-boys are doing this backwards.

I've gone through all 4 seasons with the plug, it comes out clean with nothing on it regardless.

Magnetic drain plugs are not necessary. I have always used the Gold Plug, only because it gives me a warm and fuzzy feeling that I am doing something good for my vehicle. Lots of things you don't need but get and use anyway. Not sure why that after spending the money on one you would go back to the oem plug.

I use a Gold plug also and it comes out clean. It is a good solid plug with the correct length and a nice wide aluminum washer so it stays.

It would have a small magnetic field compared to somethong like a Filtermag. I bet you would get lots on a strong magnet.

I have had some fuzz on a 5.4 modular and 5.3 LS. Nothing dramatic then again with UOA's are measuring wear in PPM the metals are tiny.

Originally Posted by Bud
... Not sure why that after spending the money on one you would go back to the oem plug.

The Dimple looks like a very high quality plug! However i am a little paranoid that the hollowed out plug is weaker than the oem plug.
Also wanted to try it on my older car (200K miles) and see what it does!

Originally Posted by JC1
I would like to see the oil filters cut open to see what was caught in the filter if anything.

I Saved it to cut open!

Just a thought - say the magnetic plug comes out clean as a whistle, then say 10 or 12 OCIs down the road it comes out all fuzzy & hairy. Seems suddenly somethings up.

Originally Posted by Errtt
Just a thought - say the magnetic plug comes out clean as a whistle, then say 10 or 12 OCIs down the road it comes out all fuzzy & hairy. Seems suddenly somethings up.

Good point.
I also wonder if different oil can make any difference as far as paste. I doubt it though!
People have different experiences with some oils making their engine noisier than other oils ...
If noise is caused by grinding, does it produce more paste? idk

Originally Posted by OilUzer
Originally Posted by Errtt

Good point.
I also wonder if different oil can make any difference as far as paste. I doubt it though!
People have different experiences with some oils making their engine noisier than other oils ...
If noise is caused by grinding, does it produce more paste? idk

The magnetic drain plug on my Harley was coming out all nice and fuzzy/hairy - and did so for the first few OCIs. I bought it used and it came with extra Harley oil and OEM filters among boxes of stock bike parts previous owner had (he had mods done and kept the stock parts aside).
After a those few OCIs I changed to a different oil (Amsoil) and the magnetic drain plug since has came out with very little fuzzies - and all I did was change oil.
I'm on my last jug/fill of the Amsoil and thinking of trying VR-1 on next OCI.
So in my case, changing to a different oil resulted in way much less paste (or fuzzyness).

I would think that says good things about Amsoil. Especially if you were using Harley brand oil, which I would think would be, while not made by Harley, would still be a decent brand name made oil.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back