Magnesium vs Calcium

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm wanting some general thoughts on oils that use magnesium as opposed to calcium for their additive package. Is their some sort of advantage one has over the other? Cheaper? I've always wondered because oils like Rotella T6 use magnesium with a little calcium while most other oils are dominant in calcium. Rotella T5 is also a diesel spec oil but uses a more traditional calcium based package, so i wonder what the difference is there?

Thoughts are appreciated.
grin.gif

I've always been told that magnesium is a little bit more abrasive in an engine when compared to calcium.

In very general terms, Calcium means detergent while Magnesium means dispersant...they do similar functions. Detergent effectiveness can be limited by combustion by-products...Dispersants "take over" for detergents in this regard. Normally, Dispersants make up almost 50% of total additive package.
GaryM

We use Service Pro 15w-40 diesel engine oil on our farm and the UOAs seem to show high Magnesium levels. Usually 800-900 ppm.

I'm not sure if this exactly answers your question... However I went from a high Ca engine oil (Pennzoil Ultra) to T6/T5 oil. And I can tell you that the Rotella is cleaning much more agressively/quicker than the Ultra was.

Is this because of Mg or is it some other additive(s), I don't know. Just wanted to share that I am impressed with the Rotella.

Originally Posted By: beast3300
I'm not sure if this exactly answers your question... However I went from a high Ca engine oil (Pennzoil Ultra) to T6/T5 oil. And I can tell you that the Rotella is cleaning much more agressively/quicker than the Ultra was.

Is this because of Mg or is it some other additive(s), I don't know. Just wanted to share that I am impressed with the Rotella.
HDEOS outperform passenger car oils with ease.

Originally Posted By: Steve S
Originally Posted By: beast3300

HDEOS outperform passenger car oils with ease.

Which is why I have my current fill the way I do.
laugh.gif

19.gif

If magnesium was better than calcium why do all the 507 Sprk Volkswagen oils have all Calcium. having more magnesium and Less calcium rotella Dello Amsoil diesel oils seems like a way to save money from an individual who really doesn't know anything about oil. Even though I don't know anything about oil I prefer mobile one felvav esp mobile one turbodiesel and redline 5W 40 because they have more calcium and magnesium.

Last edited:
^Diesel oil in one market in the US is also different than Euro-type specs, AFAIK. That may explain some of the cal/mag ratios.

Magnesium ash is more abrasive than Calcium, but I still prefer to have a bit of each in the blend.

Euro and Japanese ask a different set of questions than the U.S. engine manufacturers, and often, a U.S. style HDMO will void engine warranty.

Originally Posted By: Shannow
Magnesium ash is more abrasive than Calcium, but I still prefer to have a bit of each in the blend.

Euro and Japanese ask a different set of questions than the U.S. engine manufacturers, and often, a U.S. style HDMO will void engine warranty.

So why is this warranty voided?

Do US hdmo's wear down any specific components or is it a boycott strategy by the Japanese&Europeans?

What are the anions for calcium, magnesium, and sodium?

If I could obtain these compounds, could I simply mix them into oil to improve their detergency?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back