Made a few changes to my coolant filter system

Status
Not open for further replies.
I use NAPA coolant filters and bases in all of my vehicles, and recently I began to develop a small leak in the heater hose that comes off of the engine and runs into the firewall in my Caprice.

The heater hose is a type that uses quick disconnect fittings on the core, and had apparently been messed around with during its life, anyway so I decided to replace it. The new hose has the correct restrictor in it to protect the heater core from coolant pressure at high engine speed. This is also the hose that contained my tee for the coolant filter base, leading to the filter.

I relocated the tee to the area of hose before the restrictor, to give it more positive pressure, to ensure flow through the long hoses I had to use to get the filter system to a spot where it would fit.

The mod was successful, and flow through the filter has been increased to an acceptable level. Doing this also creates a little more relief for pressure surges under acceleration away from the heater core, and allows a pathway for any escaping air bubbles at the back of the engine or steam, which would be recondensed on its journey through the long hoses, or escape from the radiator cap, near the return line outlet.

Coolant is and remains clear. No more leaks, either.

Originally Posted By: crazyoildude
why do u think you need a filter on your cooling system?

Have you ever seen the nasty [censored] in coolant?

Originally Posted By: daman

Have you ever seen the nasty [censored] in coolant?

yep that crud is what keeps subaru cars from leaking... :p

Because when I got the car, it had flake stop-leak and rust pieces floating around in it. I went through a lot of trouble to get the cooling system spotless, and I am going to keep it that way.

More of the flakes I never got are going to come off eventually and begin circulating, so I'm heading it off at the pass.

Coolant filters do catch a lot of [censored]. My first coolant filter I opened had my opened oil filter laughing like crazy.

Didn't take any pics at the time, but it looked like this 4070 example:

coolelement.jpg

Color me weird too, but I added the same coolant filter to my Jeep Cherokee and it is amazing the crud in a "clean" system. Necessary, nope. But I enjoy adding stuff like this. Clean coolant also won't plug up the coolant/oil heat exchanger I just added:)

Originally Posted By: oilboy123
At BTOG you can never have too much filtration, or too high quality of fluids........

So do not question........
grin2.gif

lol right
smile.gif
same reason my vehicles have auxiliary trans filters as well as power steering filters. Nothing wrong with having extra filtration. I haven't looked into the coolant filter though. I'm assuming you would just plumb it in line with one of the heater hoses? Almost like a bypass setup vs full flow.

Mine is tee'd as a bypass.

OEMs have caught on, though. Super Duties have been coming with NTZ sub-micron bypass filters for years, medium and heavy duty trucks have had OEM coolant filters for years, and I expect we'll see more. Power steering filters have been on OEMs for decades.

Why run contaminants if you don't have to?

Originally Posted By: oilboy123
At BTOG you can never have too much filtration, or too high quality of fluids........

So do not question........
grin2.gif

Bingo

Originally Posted By: DoubleWasp
Mine is tee'd as a bypass.

OEMs have caught on, though. Super Duties have been coming with NTZ sub-micron bypass filters for years, medium and heavy duty trucks have had OEM coolant filters for years, and I expect we'll see more. Power steering filters have been on OEMs for decades.

Why run contaminants if you don't have to?

I am actually thinking about installing one of these on my 90 Jaguar XJS V12. It currently is cooling great but there is always old stuff flowing around and I can never really get it all out. I'm thinking one of these may be nice to try. I can always remove it.

Bingo. There's no way that any of this stuff works, or prevents any problems.

That's your option and your entitled to it no matter how wrong it is.

Originally Posted By: daman
Bingo. There's no way that any of this stuff works, or prevents any problems.

That's your option and your entitled to it no matter how wrong it is.

Thank you for telling me I am wrong, using exactly no facts, reason, logic, technical detail, or any other detail at all.

Your failure to make any sort of cogent explanation has been considered in weighing the value of your opinion.

If you have any other unsupported, baseless claims you would like to bring forward, feel free.

laugh.gif

I'll be sending this link to a friend of mine with a 2013 Wrangler who had the casting sand issue in his cooling system. He had Jeep flush the system and he sees slight traces of [censored] in his cooling system again. I told him of the problem after he ordered it while he was waiting to have it built. I suggested he install one as soon as he got it, but it seemed he didn't believe me. This thread will probably be helpful to him. Nice job!

I have another friend with a 2013 Wrangler who sent his coolant out for analysis and it came back with a very high aluminum count. He also got Jeep to flush his cooling system as well. I think these filters are a great idea.

I would recommend your friends make sure the God of Warranties doesn't try and get in their way, first.

Good point. We spoke about that too, he's so disgusted with the issue that he's willing to take a shot. He said he will if needed put the OEM heater hose back and restore it to factory original if he has a problem. Once these cooling systems plug up, the radiator, heater core, and oil cooler have to be replaced. Replacing the heater core in a Wrangler means removing the entire dashboard, and he'd rather not have the dealership screw that up and leave him with more problems. The filter could possibly avert that.

Just put one on my Hyundai Genesis Coupe. I'll change it in a couple years and cut the filter open.

The Balwin filter I use has a very restricted exit hole on the filter. Down to 0.150"

It's inline with the factory 3/8" radiator bypass hose.

coolant-filter.jpg

Originally Posted By: demarpaint
I would recommend your friends make sure the God of Warranties doesn't try and get in their way, first.

Good point. We spoke about that too, he's so disgusted with the issue that he's willing to take a shot. He said he will if needed put the OEM heater hose back and restore it to factory original if he has a problem. Once these cooling systems plug up, the radiator, heater core, and oil cooler have to be replaced. Replacing the heater core in a Wrangler means removing the entire dashboard, and he'd rather not have the dealership screw that up and leave him with more problems. The filter could possibly avert that.

Under those circumstances, I would do the same thing. These filters will definitely catch that sand, and whatever else comes along with it.

Originally Posted By: SHOZ
Just put one on my Hyundai Genesis Coupe. I'll change it in a couple years and cut the filter open.

The Balwin filter I use has a very restricted exit hole on the filter. Down to 0.150"

It's inline with the factory 3/8" radiator bypass hose.

coolant-filter.jpg

Depending on the mileage of your car when the coolant filter was installed I would change it much sooner than a couple of years. It is suggested to change the first filter @ 500 miles on higher mileage engines, then @3k miles, then annually after that. I can tell you that the first filter on my 100K mile Cummins engine was plugged after about 800 miles, so I believe the recommendations are fairly accurate. You will be very surprised at the [censored] that is floating around in even a "clean" cooling system.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back