Macbook Air & USB ports

About to pull the trigger on macbook air for daughter.

I have heard that the new macs don't have USB ports.

Here is a link to the exact model I'm going to buy: https://www.bestbuy.com/site/macboo...test-model-space-gray/5721600.p?skuId=5721600

Now I see in the details for this unit, that it has 2 USB 4 ports. OK does this mean this is a unicorn that somehow does have USB ports? Or are these so new/strange that older USB cables won't plug into it, so effectively it doesn't have USB? Or was that thing about no USB just an urban legend?

I want to buy in the next few hours, so if possible I'd like to know if I need to get an adapter or not. Bestbuy has an adapter that has a USB C on one end, and an HDMI, USB C, and USB A port on the other end.

Now I see in the details for this unit, that it has 2 USB 4 ports. OK does this mean this is a unicorn that somehow does have USB ports? Or are these so new/strange that older USB cables won't plug into it, so effectively it doesn't have USB? Or was that thing about no USB just an urban legend?
The laptop you linked to has 4 USB C ports. If your devices/cables are the old style USB A type, then you'll need an adapter.

Thanks. Based on your answer, I now have 2 more questions.

(1) Would either of these adapters work? Not sure what hardware works with macs. I lately learned that my USB flash drive which was formatted with Windows, will not work with Macs.

(2) Would either adapter allow more than one device to be connected to the macbook air at the same time?

Based on the Q&As on BestBuy's website under those products, (1) Yes.

And typically, (2) yes, you can connect multiple devices at the same time to such adapters.

those from the top ,yes they both will function;

you have this option as well

I don't know why your jump drive won't play on MacBook but most likely because the files are coming from Windows and they are not comparable; also, if you convert those files to MacBook software you'll be able to access them

once you buy MacBook Air you should consider to buy and a brand new jump drive

Oh absolutely--in fact, that's one of the reasons why I'm shopping for an adapter. The USB flash drives are the older format that need an adapter for the new macbook airs.

once you buy MacBook Air you should consider to buy and a brand new jump drive

Apple does it all the time with their software and hardware, you cannot criss-cross them between their units or windows or simply find an adapter to solve the problem

Interesting. Well I don't suppose Windows/Microsoft has any cleaner of a reputation when it comes to incompatibility with software. If drivers weren't an issue I'd have jumped to a linux based OS years ago. But I'm one of those picky computer users that likes to use things like printers. :)

Last edited:
I believe the only windows file formats a Mac will read and write on a USB is FAT32 or FatEX ... it should read NTFS. I'm not even sure if thats true on new MACS but it is on my old one.

Thanks for helping me out with this. I went ahead and bought the macbook air with the Belkin adapter (2nd link).

Thanks for helping me out with this. I went ahead and bought the macbook air with the Belkin adapter (2nd link).
Great! Its a fantastic laptop. Have had the same exact model Apple Laptop since it came out last Christmas. Love it.
AS far as adapters, there are tons of them, many cost only a few dollars each. I use single adapters on my Mac mini, which is also the same as the M1 laptop.
One adapter has a short wire on it, the others have no wire on it, just a plug in adapter which might be more suited for a laptop as you dont have to carry any wires around, its just a plug that stays on the device. You can buy 5 of them for under $6.39 ...
I didnt buy them here but this is an example of everything available.

Screen Shot 2021-11-27 at 9.37.18 AM.png

I have smaller ones like the ones under the photo of the above one if you click the link. They are tiny.
The 4 in 1 you bought is good as long as your not lugging it around and stays lets say in a home or office. If not, then the small ones above are better, they stay right on the plug of the device, nothing to carry around.

Last edited:
I see your point there. Well I'll tell my daughter not to open up the package when we pick it up today (for the adapter). I just assumed that a 4-port-in-1 unit would be better. But If she really only needs one USB A, then it would probably make sense to just get one of these smaller ones. Thanks for bringing this up.

View attachment 79224

I have smaller ones like the ones under the photo of the above one if you click the link. They are tiny.
The 4 in 1 you bought is good as long as your not lugging it around and stays lets say in a home or office. If not, then the small ones above are better, they stay right on the plug of the device, nothing to carry around.

Back