Mac Mini

Status
Not open for further replies.
If you only have basic web surfing, email & youtube needs, one of these should meet your needs w/o spending much:

Linux version: $299.99
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16883220012

Windows version: $319.99
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16883220006

No NewEgg taxes for you since you're not in CA TN or NJ. Lucky guy.
LOL.gif

Originally Posted By: ToyotaNSaturn
If you only have basic web surfing, email & youtube needs, one of these should meet your needs w/o spending much:

Linux version: $299.99
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16883220012

Windows version: $319.99
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16883220006

No NewEgg taxes for you since you're not in CA TN or NJ. Lucky guy.
LOL.gif

Thanks to all for your suggestions.

TNS,
For that price, I could likely buy a seperate mouse, keyboard, and monitor for the Mini Mac, and leave the existing PC as is. We could use an extra computer (the Mini Mac) in another part of the house anyway, come to think of it. I'll get with my ISP to get wireless networking set up, so I can connect both computers, as well as my Nintendo Wii to the internet. I'm also planning on getting my daughter a laptop for Christmas (probably a Mac), so wireless is looking more appealing by the minute.

Originally Posted By: berniedd
I used a Mac Mini for almost all my modest computing needs, till it died...

Any info on how/why it died?

Did you end up getting the Mac Mini Wayne? If so, I hope you didn't end up buying one just before they came out with the latest one this month! The newest one really is quite a good value for the money, and the nice thing about Apple computers is that they've got amazing resale value. A girl I work with has a two year old iMac that she paid $1200 for new and is getting an $800 trade in value on the new 27" iMac that's coming out this week.

I've got a 1.25 GHZ eMac that I bought new in early 2005 and it's still working well but I am planning on installing OSX 10.5 this week because with the 10.3 OSX that's on there now I can't run a lot of the newest programs such as the newest Flash or the newest iTunes or the newest version of Firefox. So some of the websites I go to now are unreadable (for instance I can't even use Facebook properly on this Mac, I need to use my son's PC for that).

If I have problems installing the newer OS on this old Mac, my plan is to just grab a new Mac Mini (although the wife would kill me as we're pinching pennies big time right now!). Even if the OS switch goes well I still plan on getting the mini in a year or two anyhow. It's $649 up here for the basic model (which is more than sufficient for basic web browsing/email, etc.) and that's not really much higher in price than similarily equipped PCs.

Originally Posted By: wavinwayne
Originally Posted By: berniedd
I used a Mac Mini for almost all my modest computing needs, till it died...

Any info on how/why it died?

The logic board (motherboard, in PCs) died. Not much to do after that except take it apart, and sell off the parts and subassemblies. Apple charges an arm and a leg to fix it, and the new logic board would carry only a 3 month warrantee. It was better to just buy a new computer.

Again from mac, more flash than dash. No thanks.

You can get a whole HP 17 widescreen laptop with more RAM and a better processor than that price.

Taking a pee shooter to a gun show.

Originally Posted By: mormit

You can get a whole HP 17 widescreen laptop with more RAM and a better processor than that price.

But that's a laptop. Who wants a laptop when they could have a proper computer?

Macs might be more expensive than PCs, but they make up for it in resale value.

Patman, I didn't buy the Mac. I decided I didn't NEED it. When my current PC gets too long in the tooth, I may make the move to a Mac. Then again, with the rave reviews Windows7 is getting, who knows...

I was considering a Mac for a bit namely because I've never owned one and only ever used them sparingly through my IT career. I like the OS X experience and how every update brought newer and better things to the OS.

Originally Posted By: mormit

Taking a pee shooter to a gun show.

One does not usually purchase a Mac over a PC because of hardware specs. People usually buy Macs to use a Mac.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back