M5 oil consumption?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: rationull
Originally Posted By: OVERK1LL

I've wanted one since they were first introduced. I am now in a situation to be able to get one. And I'm going to.

You, sir, are my hero for today!
cheers3.gif

Thank you!

I'm not very knowledgeable about this car, platform or engine at this point. But I intend on learning. I had just wanted to make it clear that I at least had an idea what I was getting into when deciding to purchase one.

1. The CEL is on. He said he's had it into BMW three times, they have no idea what it is. The cannot find anything wrong. He thinks it might be something as simple as the gas cap.

I'd also be inclined to get a more solid answer. Don't let the love blind.
cool.gif

Originally Posted By: NJC
1. The CEL is on. He said he's had it into BMW three times, they have no idea what it is. The cannot find anything wrong. He thinks it might be something as simple as the gas cap.

I'd also be inclined to get a more solid answer. Don't let the love blind.
cool.gif

Whaaaaaaaaaat?

stevie-wonder_2.jpg

heheheh
grin.gif

Originally Posted By: IndyIan
Do you need to borrow my scangauge? It will spit out the OBD2 codes so you can look up what it is with out resetting the light. Maybe something on here? http://www.obd-codes.com/trouble_codes/bmw/
You can also reset the light and see if the code comes back right away.
I'm in town until 4:30 today so send me a PM and I can drop it off.

Thank you very much for the offer! I have a cheap Canadian Tire OBD2 code reader, I assume that should work for basic code retrieval on this car. Unfortunately, I didn't bring it with me when I went up for the test drive.

Originally Posted By: IndyIan
Do you need to borrow my scangauge? It will spit out the OBD2 codes so you can look up what it is with out resetting the light. Maybe something on here? http://www.obd-codes.com/trouble_codes/bmw/
You can also reset the light and see if the code comes back right away.
I'm in town until 4:30 today so send me a PM and I can drop it off.

Thank you very much for the offer! I have a cheap Canadian Tire OBD2 code reader, I assume that should work for basic code retrieval on this car. Unfortunately, I didn't bring it with me when I went up for the test drive.

Hey, no problem, anything to help a guy get his dream car! Hope its a minor problem! Also the PMSC is having a track day on Sept.11 on the driver development track at Mosport. Its low pressure fun and its a good place to stretch a cars legs without much risk, last time we changed up the configuration a couple times too so it gives some variety.

Won't work, you need a Peake code reader for BMW specific codes... a generic OBDII reader will not give you accurate messages.

Spend a lot of time on m5board.com for all your questions / needs about the new ride.

My car was dealer maintained with TWS before I purchased it, and I continued to use TWS. My car didn't burn a single drop of oil either, but you can certainly see that the rod bearing needed a refreser. Have you driven another s62 powered M5 for comparison? You can expect to change MAFs, air filer, plugs, etc. immediately when you get it.

My e39 M5 was one of my favorite cars because it did everything well. I bought one straight out of college, and after a year realized it didn't make financial sense to keep it.

First mod, especially if it isn't a daily driver, would be to hack off the rear mufflers (leaving just the resonators) and enjoy the sweet sweet s62 music

Originally Posted By: rhouse181

Won't work, you need a Peake code reader for BMW specific codes... a generic OBDII reader will not give you accurate messages.

Spend a lot of time on m5board.com for all your questions / needs about the new ride.

My car was dealer maintained with TWS before I purchased it, and I continued to use TWS. My car didn't burn a single drop of oil either, but you can certainly see that the rod bearing needed a refreser. Have you driven another s62 powered M5 for comparison? You can expect to change MAFs, air filer, plugs, etc. immediately when you get it.

My e39 M5 was one of my favorite cars because it did everything well. I bought one straight out of college, and after a year realized it didn't make financial sense to keep it.

First mod, especially if it isn't a daily driver, would be to hack off the rear mufflers (leaving just the resonators) and enjoy the sweet sweet s62 music

Thank you very much for your help!

And yes, those bearings aren't the worst I've seen, but they aren't all that great either.

Where do I get one of these Peake readers? I've got DrVanos bookmarked already as well.

It would be a shame to hack the exhaust off this car simply because it is pristine. The underneath looks like new. That's why the mileage is so surprising. But he did say it was all highway....

And I agree with your sentiment as well: This car simply does everything well. I cannot imagine owning one straight out of school! However did you afford it? They would have still been insanely expensive then I assume?

Thank you very much for your help!

And yes, those bearings aren't the worst I've seen, but they aren't all that great either.

Where do I get one of these Peake readers? I've got DrVanos bookmarked already as well.

It would be a shame to hack the exhaust off this car simply because it is pristine. The underneath looks like new. That's why the mileage is so surprising. But he did say it was all highway....

And I agree with your sentiment as well: This car simply does everything well. I cannot imagine owning one straight out of school! However did you afford it? They would have still been insanely expensive then I assume?

I graduated in 2007 and picked it up immediately for 20k (oh how prices have fallen!)... very similar to your situation. I lusted over it for all those years, and finally had the means to afford the note. Didn't do that great a job factoring in all the maintenance expense into the equation though! Suffice to say, I've down graded to daily driving a VW GTI and weekend driving an 88 e28 535is...

You can buy a new Peake code reader from Turner Motorsports for about $120... but I would look on eBay and find a used one.

You think its a shame to hack the exhaust off, but you will shave a significant amount of weight from the car... in addition to inducing the most ridiculous grin on you face due to the maniacal sounds coming from the s62. Just keep the quad tips so it sounds like stock. Here is a little teaser:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8KBavXcPzXQ

Another good / cheap mod is transplanting the shifter from a e60 545... really improves the shift quality

I'll keep those things in mind, thanks!

I'm lucky we still have a few other vehicles that are very reliable (the Focus has been pretty much bulletproof.... Not bad for a car I paid $500.00 for!) so I mean if anything DOES come up, it's not like I'm without wheels.

Any other things you think of, please let me know. This is a whole new experience for me.

I wish you the very best of luck with this one. A very, very nice ride.

I thought about an new M5 at one point. But it is not a vehicle that you want to have any significant problems with outside of warranty. Besides the loud sucking sound from the wallet, it can turn into a never-ending aggravation train, as few techs know how to fix them right. One problem winds up cascading into others when that happens. Being that I like to hang on to certain cars longer than warranty, and I'm now to the point where I don't like to fix them myself like I used to, I passed at the time.

For a used one like this, I would hope that either you are spinning the wrenches yourself, have a good friend who is a very competent independent, or have very deep pockets.

If you are spinning the wrenches and learn enough about the vehicle to do it right, and enjoy the results you can get, owning one of these can become an extremely satisfying experience.

I hope to do the majority of the work myself. I have a good collection of tools and don't mind spending money on new tools if they are needed to do the job.

Well if you ever need a hand spinning them, let me know! I'm not THAT far away and I hope you'd take me for a spin
20.gif
...lol

So is this a done deal? Did I miss the anouncment and pics?

The E39 and E60 M5 are my two most favorite cars on the road. I've driven an E39, but not an E60. However...

I used to own a 2005 545i 6 speed manual. By FAR, the best performing car i have ever owned...Active steering, adaptive headlights and adaptive cruise control, had just about every option possible that year. I could take corners at 70 MPH (on ramps, etc) that i wouldnt dare try 45 MPH in my 07 accord V6. But to my point..

Be prepared to shell out some $ for repairs. In the 10 months i owned this car, i spent more time in loaners that i did driving it, along with the 6k$ in repairs (most done myself too). VERY expensive to maintain. Granted, my engine was a N62 and i realize its different than the E39 M5 engine.

List of things i had to replace...
Entire cooling system replacement (W/P, rad, hoses, etc)
vacuum pump
valve cover gaskets 2 tires @ 500 each
tie rod ends

When i got rid of it, it needed:
Clutch starter and a handfull of small things.

My advice: If you can swing the repairs, do it. You wont regret it. Be prepared to buy specialty tools to do some repairs. Get a good torx socket set, and inverted torx and metric allen sockets as well.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: cp3
Well if you ever need a hand spinning them, let me know! I'm not THAT far away and I hope you'd take me for a spin
20.gif
...lol

So is this a done deal? Did I miss the anouncment and pics?

Still a work in progress. Don't worry, there will be pics when things are completed, LOL!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back