M10w40 - M1 TDT 5W40 for a small gasoline engine

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is my first message on this forum, although I read it for quite some time. First of all, please excuse eventually spelling errors, considering that English is not my maternal language.

That being said, I have a small doubt regarding the type of oil I should use for my car. Is a Opel/Vauxhall Corsa equipped with a 1.2 liter GM gasoline engine, 16 valves. I am using a mixed driving, city/ country roads/ highway/ short driving , an OCI of max. 5000 miles (7500 km). I should say that this car, regardless of its small sized engine, it’s driven hard. The engine is pushed to the limit more than often. This includes a few thousands miles of highway driving at 5000+ rpm, in both very cold (-20 degrees C) and very hot climate. (+ 40 degrees C – air temperature).

I have experienced both M1 0w40 and M1 TDT 5W40 over the years in several cars, gasoline and diesel, both with excellent results. No sludge formations, no deposits, engines clean, good fuel consumption, no oil burning.

In this particularly car, I have only used for the last 2 years the GM approved M1 0w40 European Car Formula. I am more than satisfied with it, but I am seriously thinking about switching to MI TDT 5w40, due to it’s increased robustness. I also like it that it is more shear stable than the 0w40, and I am thinking that, overall, an HDEO will suit my needs better.

M1 TDT isn’t GM approved, and, in this part of Eastern Europe, I can only find the “old” version, CI + / SL. Hope this summer I can find the new CJ/SM. But, until then, I’ll have to use the one I have.

My question to you, seriously more experienced than I, is this:
Which oil (out of those two) do you think will be the better choice for me? The passenger gasoline car oriented M1 0w40 (also GM approved) or the “bullet-proof” M1 TDT 5W40? Can the diesel formulated additive pack in the M1 TDT do more bad than good comparing it with the additives from the 0w40? As I said, I am really thinking about switching to TDT.
Please take into consideration my driving style, the climate conditions, and the fact that I can only find TDT CI/SL compared to the SM version of the 0w40.

Thank you for taking the time to read this long post. I am looking forward for your opinions.

I don't think you can go wrong with either one of these oils. 0w-40 may have slight advantage at cold startup in the dead of winter, but again, -20C isn't really all that cold - 5w-40 can handle it as well.

I think I'd just choose whatever's cheaper and/or easier to find.

By the way, welcome to BITOG!

I agree,splitting hairs here,both outstanding oil's for sure use either one with confidence,if you see cool/cold temps go with the 0w40,but again the TDT would work fine also in cold temps,you can go wrong here.

Thank you for your repply!

I know both are great oils, I've been using them for quite some time now. I have doubts because I've never used the TDT in a gasoline engine before. That's the thing I'm most interested in.

As I said before, I know that TDT is a "strong" oil compared to 0w40, that's why I'm thinking of using it.

Best regards,
Eugen

Originally Posted By: Eugen
I have doubts because I've never used the TDT in a gasoline engine before.

No issues, have at it...like 46 above posted it carries a SM thats a PCMO gasoline approval.

I mentioned in my first post that I can't find the SM rated TDT, but only the SL one. Would this be any problem?

I mentioned in my first post that I can't find the SM rated TDT, but only the SL one. Would this be any problem?

No,none! SL/CI4 will have higher levels of Calcium,Zinc,Phosphorus but thats a plus! it's more anti-wear and detergents(cleaners) vs a SM CJ4

thats a great oil the CI4/SL TDT use it with no worries and run it out longer then 3,000 miles at least 6,9,000 i would or your waisting good oil.

1200cc engine is a small block and is not much in power.
While TDT might work in terms shear stability and overal robustness it is a thick oil and doubt it privdes anyrging extra over the 0W-40 in this case. It might hamper its cold start a bit too. For better low end performance and fuel economy I would stick to Gm approved that you are using. Or try it once and see.
I am not much into thick oil if possible.

I agree the 0w40 would be a great choice and probably the preferred but i don't see a big issue with TDT if OP wants to try it it's not that much thicker then the 0w40,little bit thicker on start up but op temps are very close and being a synthetic it shouldn't hamper mileage/start up at all IMO i've ran this oil in the winter it flows well.

TDT

cSt @ 40ºC 100.4
cSt @ 100ºC 14.9

0w40

cSt @ 40º C 78.3
cSt @ 100º C 14

New update!

I've been using M1 tdt 5w40 (CJ-4, SM) for quite some time now (2 oci and aprox 15000 miles). I am more than sattisfied with this oil.
I recentlly experienced -27 deg.C this winter with no problem. Engine starts great, no noise from the valvetrain.
I can't say if it's better than the 0w40 i've been using. Both are great oils.

As I said before, I know that TDT is a "strong" oil compared to 0w40, that's why I'm thinking of using it.

Actually the TBN (alkalinity reserve/detergent content) of 0W40 is 11.8, greater than TDT CJ4 which is 10.7.
There's no doubt in my mind that i would use 0W40 if it is approved for the engine.
http://www.mobil.com/USA-English/Lubes/PDS/GLXXENPVLMOMobil_1_0W-40.aspx
http://www.mobil.com/USA-English/Lubes/PDS/GLXXENPVLMOMobil1_Turbo_Diesel_Truck_5W-40.aspx

The main change going from CI4+ to CJ4 is slightly LESS zinc/phosphorus and LESS detergency; purely emission system related. There may be some additions of nonmetallic additives to compensate.

Charlie

Which oil (out of those two) do you think will be the better choice for me? The passenger gasoline car oriented M1 0w40 (also GM approved) or the “bullet-proof” M1 TDT 5W40? Can the diesel formulated additive pack in the M1 TDT do more bad than good comparing it with the additives from the 0w40? As I said, I am really thinking about switching to TDT.

IMO, there's not THAT much difference between M1 0w40 and M1 5w40TDT. If you rank the M1 oils in terms of ZDDP percentage, the top 3 are TDT, 0w40, and 15W50 (not necessarily in that order... I think 15w50 is actually the highest).

Use whichever one puts your oil pressures (both hot and cold) in the range you feel most comfortable with. TDT is certainly not going to do any harm at all since it is an SM/CJ4 rated oil.. You should also consider Rotella T6 if you're considering TDT because IMO they're totally interchangeable. Rotella is usually a little cheaper. My daughter's Jeep rear main seal seems to weep *just* a tad more with TDT, so I'll probably put it back to T6 next OCI and see if that changes or if its just the leak gradually increasing with more miles.

I use a 10w-40 Hdeo in our small 1 litre Houndai engine.
I cant feel any difference between the rather "thick" hdeo
or a lighter 5w-30 syn "gas" oil in how it drives.
The only difference is when i change oils, the gas oil comes out like water, thin and "drippy" while the hdeo is just as new but black.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back