Lumina '96 air comp. not coming on? What to check?

Status
Not open for further replies.
My 96 Lumina with 3.1 V6 has no a/c. The A/C air comp is not cycling on and off as it should. I don't think it is coming on at all. What to check? I bought an AC Air Pro recharger from AAP, but it won't charge if the compressor is not working. What to check? Hot in SC, Jim

You need a gauge set to properly evaluate the system. More than likely you're low on freon. There are switches that will not allow the compressor to run to protect it.

If it is very low on freon you need to fix the leaks, evacuate the system, replace the receiver/dryer, and then recharge it.

First I am not a Pro. I would check the fuses/relays first, swap a relay with another the same. I'm not familiar with Luminas either. Normally there is a pressure switch some where on the system, maybe on the accumulator, that keeps the compressor from coming on if it is low to protect it from burning up. You can take a piece of wire and jumper it so it will turn on. Or like the Cadillac I had threw a code. I cleared the code and the compressor would cycle on and off long enough to get some coolant in it till it was full without throwing the code again. It didn't last long as my compressor seals were leaking.

More than likely you have a leak somewhere. Look at the compressor,the high and low service ports, for oily, green color on it. I put a new compressor, accumulator, orifice tube (saved tons of money) and took it to a shop and let them put a vacuum on it to draw all the moisture out and test for leaks. Then he filled it for me for $100.

My Jeep is leaking on the compressor case seals now. So this is in my future.

Originally Posted By: 96Cherokee
** Also could be the clutch on the front of the compressor or wires.
Could be a lot of things
smile.gif
Low charge, bad coil, bad pressure switch etc.

The low pressure switch needs at least 45psi to make the clutch engage.

90s GM? Try putting as much of a charge in as you can with the compressor off, then disconnect and reconnect the battery. Have someone start the engine and turn on the AC while you attempt to charge it up. A DTC for low refrigerant charge will keep some of those from engaging the compressor. In a pinch, jumper across the low pressure switch with a paper clip and do a battery disconnect.

You HAVE to check pressures. Or at least the rest pressure relative to ambient temps [even more in a hot engine compartment].

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back