Lucus oil

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Loobed

As everyone said, you don't need Lucas. I suggest a 15w-40 diesel oil (Shell Rotella, Castrol Tection, or Mobil Delvac - I prefer Rotella). Diesel oil will work great in that year engine. 1975 to about 1982 was not very good for performance in the Chevy motors. There was a lot of smog junk (in California). The motors were not bad, they were just loaded down with hoses and wires to pass smog.

The ignition switch is easy to fix yourself. I think a switch is about $20 new from most auto-parts stores. I think you can use a paper clip to remove it, and then just slip in a replacement. (see book listed below)

The exhaust pipe should exit at the rear (bumper). If it stops anywhere before that, it will be very noisy with a dull drone inside the car that will anyone anyone with more than 3 brain cells.

Have the brakes checked by a professional. If the previous owner was a hack with the other mechanical items, your safety could be at risk.

I suggest you buy a Haynes manual and read it. Even if you don't repair the car, you will not be blind and at the mercy of a mechanic. This is the one for your car.

http://www.haynes.com/products/sfID1/3/sfID2/5/sfID3/17/productID/274

Thanks loobed. I just now ordered the manual.
The ignition switch is something we'll deal with today so my daughter can stop worrying that someone is going to drive off in her car.

Originally Posted By: hounddog
You better hope she dates a mechanic.

Yeah right?? ^^^^
grin2.gif

Aspen,their must be someone on here that lives relatively close to you that may be able to lend a hand. I certainly wood,but Im a little far away.
grin2.gif

Originally Posted By: lexus114
Aspen,their must be someone on here that lives relatively close to you that may be able to lend a hand. I certainly wood,but Im a little far away.
grin2.gif

I wish you were here!
I'm way out in Montrose, Colorado. Anyone on this forum happen to live around this neck of the woods? :)

Aspen,their must be someone on here that lives relatively close to you that may be able to lend a hand. I certainly wood, but Im a little far away.
grin2.gif

Freudian slip?

Originally Posted By: Hethaerto
Aspen,their must be someone on here that lives relatively close to you that may be able to lend a hand. I certainly wood, but Im a little far away.
grin2.gif

Freudian slip?

Oh shoot,your right!! my fault their Aspen.
27.gif

Originally Posted By: Hethaerto
grin2.gif

Freudian slip?

Oh shoot,your right!! my fault their Aspen.
27.gif

Oh good grief you guys
33.gif

Originally Posted By: TaterandNoodles
No matter how old we(guys) get we just never grow up. I suffer from this condition myself.
04.gif

I think that's what I love most about men
grin2.gif

Oh yeah,how come??

Because I just noticed a place way down at the bottom of the list of forum subjects which states, "A place to post photos without affecting other threads"

Originally Posted By: Aspen7
By the way, am I not supposed to be posting pics here? I hope the moderators aren't going to get on my case.

Naughty pics? Nope, right here's fine.

If you're worried about the ignition switch and don't want to fix it, get a Crook-Hook. It will slow most people down, but as with any theft deterrent if someone wants the car and knows what their doing they will get the car. Good luck with it, nice car!

BTW skip the Lucas oil, any of the others mentioned will do just fine.

AD

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back