LUCAS has a use afterall ???

Status
Not open for further replies.
Okay so I have this Jeep I got with 65k a year & a half ago on the ticker and in good health at the time of purchase. I have since put on some miles (88k now) and the rear outer wheel bearing seals began to leak pretty good on both sides (typical for the Dana 35).

When I got the Jeep, I did full service on it including new diff fluid and at the time, I did 75w140 Royal Purple. This is the second rear end that began leaking on me after switching to synthetic gear oil BTW. Anyway, for now, I drained it and put in some MYSTIK 80w90 because it is dino gear oil and also claims on the back of the bottle to contain extra seal conditioners to slow/stop leaks. It appears to have slowed it almost completely on one side in a few 1000 miles of driving, but the otherside is slowed but still an issue & dripping onto the rotor backing plates. I know what all is involved to fix but I do not want to anytime soon since this is my beater daily driver and not my jewel.

I was thinking, maybe I have now identified a real time to try LUCAS dino oil stabilizer. I know it is not the best for the crankcase, but I ave used it a long time ago to quiet a worn diff and now I was wondering is 50% Lucas mixed with 50% Mystik might be my best shot to curb the leaks for awhile???

thoughts, experiences...yes, I am not a Lucas fan, but this "might" be the one time it is worth something?

Originally Posted By: Hethaerto
It's fashionable to hate Lucas. I like LOS. I do not like their synthetic oils.

I like green eggs and ham.

Lucas Fashion!

jw7.jpg

You would be better off using a sealer/conditioner such as found in Bar's Leak Rear main seal repair. This heavy polymer-enhanced sealer helped to stop several leaks on several high mileage engines and axles that we did not want to invest time to fix immediately.

Originally Posted By: bmwtechguy
You would be better off using a sealer/conditioner such as found in Bar's Leak Rear main seal repair. This heavy polymer-enhanced sealer helped to stop several leaks on several high mileage engines and axles that we did not want to invest time to fix immediately.

I was not aware you could use that product in a gear box? At what ratio did you use in on a axle?

Originally Posted By: PT1
I would fix the seals when the weather gets warmer. I don't like oil on my brakes.

Yeah I know, but I wanted to try the seal conditioner route first while it is too cold to do the repair...I wish I had room for a press cause the dana 35 has the bearings and races pressed onto the axle shafts.

Years ago, Bob, the original oil guy, demonstrated that the Lucas stuff in gear oil caused foaming. I'd stick with a seal conditioner until the time comes to renew the seals.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back