Lucas 20w50 mix - Yamaha FJR

Status
Not open for further replies.
I found some Lucas 20w50 motorcycle oil on a killer closeout at Schucks so I bought several changes worth. My FJR calls for 20w40 oil, so I bought some Lucas 5w20 oil to mix in and thin it down some. I used 3 qts of 20w50 with 1 qt 20w40. I changed the oil a bit early since I wasn't exactly sure what the mix would do and I had heard some mixed opinions on Lucas

2007 Yamaha FJR 1300cc
Miles on unit - 10,121
Miles on oil - 1548
Oil filter - Mobil 1 M1-110 Extended Performance
Air filter - stock Yamaha

3 qts Lucas Syntethic 20w50 motorcycle oil (says it "meets or exceeds" API SG/SF/CC/CD, JASO MA, ACEA A3)
1 qt Lucas synthetic 5w20 motor oil (says it "exceeds" API SM/SL/SJ/CD, Acea A3-98, B3-98, B4-98, VW 500/502/503/505/506, Chrysler 229.1, BMW Longlife oil)

Aluminium - 2
Chromium - 0
Iron - 7
Copper - 2
Lead - 1
Tin - 0
Molybdenium - 2
Nickel - 0
Manganese - 0
Silver - 0
Titanium - 0
Potassium - 2
Boron - 74
Silicon - 9
Sodium - 2
Calcium - 2211
Magnesium - 5
Phosphorus - 834
Zink - 1134
Barium - 0

SUS Viscosity @ 210F - 60.3
cST Viscosity @ 100C - 10.29
Flashpoint - 370
Fuel % - .8
Antifreeze % - 0
Water % - 0
Insolubles % - .1

Blackstone Comments;
Nice improvement in wear and fuel dilution. None of the wear metals were really out of line last sample, but we always like to see lower wear. The shorter oil run helped in bringing wear down, though if you wanted to go longer on the next sample, we think you easily could. Fuel was still present, though 0.8% is easier to take than 1.5%. With any luck it may just disappear completely next time. The viscosity was low for a 20W/50 and this is partly due to the fuel and partly due to the 5W/20 you added so it's not a major concern either. All in all, a good report.

Overall, I agree with Blackstone the report looks pretty good, even accounting for the short miles I ran this oil. Based on this, I'll certainly leave the next change in longer and maybe not mix so much of the 5w20 in. This is the second analysis I've done on this bike and the sure seems to come out thin after very few miles.

The add pack looks a little weak and uses a lot of Boron... What's that for?

Boron, Magnesium, Calcium, Barium, Phosphorous, and Zinc: These metals are normally from the lubricating oil additive package. They involve detergents, dispersants, extreme-pressure additives, etc.

Oops... typo and too late to change the post.. In the first paragraph, I wanted to say I mixed one qt of 5w20 weight in to thin it some... Oh, and yes I know, Zink is spelled with a "c" (sigh...)

Actually I'm pretty impressed with the add-pack. ZDDP levels are just so-so ... but all that calcium is detergent/dispersant/EP/AW additives. Boron is anti-wear as well as detergent. Good lookin' stuff and a good result ... especially if this bike shares its motor sump with the tranny. From the tranny alone I'd expect 30-50ppm iron in 3,000 miles.

I take it you take frequent short trips with this bike? That's my first guess about the fuel present.

Actually, I don't take many short trips. Most of the miles are spent commuting to work and back, 27 miles each way on the freeway. So I'm not sure where the fuel comes from. It's better in this sample, but still significant.

This sample included about 250 miles of some very hard riding on a recent trip through the mountains trying to keep up with a friend's Ducati. So even with the thrashing, not much wear showed up!

Last edited:
Most of the miles on your "Cruise Missle" are easy highway miles. My bike likes 10-40. How much time on this oil?

The oil was in the bike for two months.

Yeah, I'm pretty easy on it most of the time. Part of that's due to the fact that it really doesn't take much throttle to have this bike really take off!

i always love how blackstoned leads people into disillusion with their comments on susvis.

60.3 is in the LOWER half of 30wt.

30, not 40 and not near the 83.1101 of 50wt

10.29cst is closer to 9.3cst of 30wt than the 12.5cst of 40wt.

period.

imho, why use any of the 5w20?

"why use any of the 5w20?"

The manual calls for 20w/40 so I was just trying to thin it a bit to get to what the manufacturer calls for, that's all. But it keeps thinning the oil so quickly that I think next time I may just try the straight 20w/50. Must be the tranny is hard on the VII.

my zx9r calls for 10W40 and I have had no issues running straight 20W50.

Someday I will get my FJR..................

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back