Lubegard Red In Power Steering

Hi All,

Want to flush out my PSF this evening in my Mondeo as it's a bit noisy and notchy.

I have 5 litres of Comma MVATF which is a universal ATF like Maxlife. I previously added a 10oz bottle of Lubegard Red to the 5 litre jug to put in an old Aisin box.

This this will cause any issues or will the LG be okay in the PSF?

Hmmm, I guess it'd be OK as long as your power steering calls for ATF as its fluid(much like older TOYOTA/LEXUS vehicles). Though I have used specific HONDA/ACURA P/S Fluid(to quiet down noisy p/s units) in systems that called for regular power steering fluid.

I would not add the additive to the mix. If you are determined to change the PSF, use what is recommended in your manual, nothing else. I doubt that a fluid change is going to fix that "notchy" feeling you describe with your steering.

LG sells a specific PSF additive. I assume your vehicle is specified to use ATF, not a purpose-specific PSF?

Assuming your vehicle specifies ATF, it’s a good question for Lubeguard...

Hi All,

Want to flush out my PSF this evening in my Mondeo as it's a bit noisy and notchy.

I have 5 litres of Comma MVATF which is a universal ATF like Maxlife. I previously added a 10oz bottle of Lubegard Red to the 5 litre jug to put in an old Aisin box.

This this will cause any issues or will the LG be okay in the PSF?

This is straight from the Lubegard site for PS protectant (I added the bold typeface): https://www.lubegard.com/products/psf-protectant/
LUBEGARD® POWER STEERING FLUID PROTECTANT is for use with all power steering fluids. It incorporates the same unique proprietary Liquid Wax Ester (LXE®) Technology found in LUBEGARD® Automatic Transmission Fluid Protectant which has been used, endorsed, designated and approved by multiple Original Equipment Manufacturers (OEM’s) around the world.

LUBEGARD® POWER STEERING FLUID PROTECTANT enhances power steering fluids by providing additional anti-wear, anti-corrosion, and anti-friction compounds. This results in reduced wear, increased responsiveness, and less noise. LUBEGARD® POWER STEERING FLUID PROTECTANT also raises the thermal and oxidative stability of the fluid.

I have put Lubegard Red in my GM PS fluid, but according to the instructions on the side of the Lubegard container, you add 1 oz. per QUART, so you stating 10 oz. per 5 Liters is almost double what Lubegard recommends. Being a BITOG OCD fellow that I am, I used a veterinary syringe to add the precise amount to my PS. After flushing, I also jacked the front end off the ground so there is no load on the PS and engine off, cut my steering wheel lock to lock about 20 times, then started the engine and cut the wheel lock to lock until the PS is smooth and quiet. My vehicle has close to 200K on it and the PS is buttery smooth & quiet.

If I were inclined to add it to PSF, I would use their product specifically designed to add to power steering units, and follow the recommended dosage.

I’d use a product that was made for power steering. Yes the LubeGard works excellent in transmissions but I would not have put it in my power steering not sure if it will harm it but I would not have done it. That’s just me.

I top off PSF with the bottle dregs of atf left when I fill the tranny. There's gotta be a few oz of lubegard red and platinum in there. Still driving it a year later.

Back