Lt or p on f150

I ordered our 2020 f150 I do believe it’ll need tires soon. The size is 275/55R20. Does ford run p or lt from the factory? What do you guys recommend? Can a p tire handle the capacity the f150 is capable of?

P 275/55/20 113H XL rated tires come as standard equipment. The alternative is P 275/55/20 117H XL.
I have the same tires (Michelin LTX MS2) on my 2020 F-150. I’m looking at future replacements. I will most likely purchase Falken Wildpeak HT02 tires as replacements. They are 117H XL tires.
Yes, they can handle the payload specifications Ford has listed.

Last edited:
I ordered our 2020 f150 I do believe it’ll need tires soon. The size is 275/55R20. Does ford run p or lt from the factory? What do you guys recommend? Can a p tire handle the capacity the f150 is capable of?
Since you're asking if the P tire will handle the load capacity of the truck you probably should put on what it came with. The door placard will tell you what came on the truck.

Since you're asking if the P tire will handle the load capacity of the truck you probably should put on what it came with. The door placard will tell you what came on the truck.
The truck hasn’t arrived yet so I can’t physically view the door place card.

My 2017 came with Wrangler HT P tires from the factory 17" wheels. I replaced them once worn with Michelin LTX LT tires. The LT tires are noticeably stiffer and did tow my travel trailer better. If you don't tow anything heavy I would go for P tires in the appropriate size and rating for better ride quality.

According to Tire Guides, a publication that summarizes the vehicle tire placards for vehicles sold in the US, a 2020 F-150 came with a variety of tire sizes, and among them is 275/55R20. That's a Euro-metric size. A P metric would have a "P" in front of the numbers, and an LT metric would have the letters "LT" in front.

But to answer your other question about whether there is enough load carrying capacity - Ford is not allowed by law to source a tire that is incapable of handling the load they specify. So the vehicle doesn't need LT tires.

That also means that there is another way to answer your original question - go to Tire Rack or Discount Tire's website and they will not allow you to select a P type tire if the vehicle came with LT tires - not enough load carrying capacity!

Last edited:
Most trims of 1/2 ton pickups these days comes with SL or XL tires for comfort and fuel economy reasons, but some, especially certain offroad or towing packages may come with LT.

If I were going to use my F150 to do a lot of heavy work at the limits of the intended loads/capacities, and run it offroad a lot on rocky terrain, I would run LT tires. Most people use their F150 as their everyday passenger car that occasionally pulls a little boat or camper on regular roads. In that case, an SL/XL tire will be more comfortable and consume less fuel.

Don't put the cart before the horse. Get the truck in your hands then evaluate.
But that’s no fun! 😂 it has highway tread on it and I know I wanted all terrains so I was weighing my options. I wanted to narrow it down so I could then do tire research. I work a ton and have a lot going on so it’s tough to find time to do tires. I plan on doing them this Friday since the shop will be closed and I’ll be able to go in unbothered and do them myself. That’s why I was putting the cart before the horse which I admit I was .

But that’s no fun! 😂 it has highway tread on it and I know I wanted all terrains so I was weighing my options. I wanted to narrow it down so I could then do tire research. I work a ton and have a lot going on so it’s tough to find time to do tires. I plan on doing them this Friday since the shop will be closed and I’ll be able to go in unbothered and do them myself. That’s why I was putting the cart before the horse which I admit I was .
Keep the highway tires and find somewhere quiet to do some burnouts

Or sell them as new takeoffs

I'm fairly sure that running a "P" tire reduces the load carrying capacity. For a truck an LT tire is the way to go as don't most lt tires have more plies on the sidewall?

If I was planning on towing, max payload(like if you used your truck for work hauling stuff in the bed) or long trips frequently, I’d consider LT tires. Else, P tires offer better “feel” but keep in mind your actual load capacity on your tires is 10% less than what’s molded on the sidewalls.

I'm fairly sure that running a "P" tire reduces the load carrying capacity. For a truck an LT tire is the way to go as don't most lt tires have more plies on the sidewall?
Ah ..... Mmmmm ....... Not exactly

Ya' see, while it is true that a P type tire has to be derated 10% if it is used in Light Truck service (an unfortunate name that means on a pickup, van, or trailer), it's also true that LT tires of the same size have to be inflated 15 psi more to carry the same load.

Also, both P type and LT type tire typically use 2 plies of polyester and 2 steel belts. In the case of LT tires, that polyester is stronger than for P type tires, but that's only because of the increased inflation pressure. The stronger plies don't contribute anything of value.

Back