LS3 oil

My 15' Camaro SS/1LE originally came filled with Mobil 1 5W30 from the factory. I have been using Pennzoil Platinum 5W30 for the last 4 OC's. (12000 miles on the car)

Is there any advantage of using one brand over the other for an LS3 engine?

My 15' Camaro SS/1LE originally came filled with Mobil 1 5W30 from the factory. I have been using Pennzoil Platinum 5W30 for the last 4 OC's. (12000 miles on the car)

Is there any advantage of using one brand over the other for an LS3 engine?
Depends how you drive the Car!

I would try this stuff!! It came back with VERY HIGH molly and ZINC !! Pefect for your LS3

You can order on Walmart.com 6 qts for under $30 !!! Sold out at moment but should be back in stock soon ??

He explains blackstone lab results @ 3:23

surprised your Camaro SS came from the factory with Mobil 1 as my 2015 SS (Sedan) with the same LS3 came factory with Dexos 1 Gen 1 which was a synthetic blend...I changed over to Mobil 1 5W-30 as it is my preference but that's what I used during my ownership...

I would imagine today that any quality motor oil would be fine with my preference being a Dexos 1 Gen3 full synthetic product like Mobil 1 EP in the same 5W-30...

Good luck with your choice

Bill

surprised your Camaro SS came from the factory with Mobil 1 as my 2015 SS (Sedan) with the same LS3 came factory with Dexos 1 Gen 1 which was a synthetic blend...I changed over to Mobil 1 5W-30 as it is my preference but that's what I used during my ownership...

I would imagine today that any quality motor oil would be fine with my preference being a Dexos 1 Gen3 full synthetic product like Mobil 1 EP in the same 5W-30...

Bill

The Camaro forum that I'm on says that the LS3's came factory filled with Mobil 1 5W30 just like the C6 corvettes with the LS3's. I do NOT know this to be 100% true tho'.

Depends how you drive the Car!

I don't track the car at all & drive it pretty conservatively. Occasionally I will drop it down a gear or 2 and mash the gas into a curve to see how many lateral G's that I pulled. But I definitely don't beat on the car.

I don't track the car at all & drive it pretty conservatively. Occasionally I will drop it down a gear or 2 and mash the gas into a curve to see how many lateral G's that I pulled. But I definitely don't beat on the car.
Just take Buster's Advice!

Bill

His Camaro was made in Michigan and your SS was made in Australia. So very possible different oil suppliers/contracts ???

I ran Mobile 1 during the first few thousand miles, under the freebie’ oil changes. I changed over to RedLine 5W30 after the dealership was taking all day to have it done, even with an appointment. I got tired of that real quick, so I just started purchasing Redline 5W30 and taking it down to the local Lube Pit where they get it done in 15-minutes.

Then I joined this forum and switched over to Redline 5W20, and I’ve been running that until just recently. Unfortunately, Redline priced me out of their product so then I switched over to Maxima RS530 and I’ve been running that to this day. I changed over because I trust the opinion of Borowski Race Engines. No, I don’t push my car that often, but the ambient temp here in Lizard Spit can range 113—120 in the summer. About 90% of my driving is freeway at about 83mph. I’m just now getting into the oil analysis thing’ and I now have 65K on my LS3 with an OCI of 3~5k. 🤷‍♂️

Last edited:
I'm using 0/5w40 euro oils in my 6.0L LS engine (L96).
These engines will run many many hours on any vanilla 5w30, but I see no reason to not use the more robust Euro offerings.

The Camaro forum that I'm on says that the LS3's came factory filled with Mobil 1 5W30 just like the C6 corvettes with the LS3's. I do NOT know this to be 100% true tho'.
I looked at the owner's manual for 2015 Camaro and it just showed the Dexos recommendation (although M1 IS Dexos compliant) but GM vehicles that come or call for Mobil 1 usually (my C5 Corvette LS1 did as did my 2006 GTO LS2) have a Mobil 1 oil cap while the rest of us only get the Dexos cap...

I switched my LS3 SS sedan over to Mobil 1 after the first "free" oil change flub from my dealership...

Good luck with yours...

Bill

Probably not but at that mileage you could consider the M1 0w40 FS or M1 Supercar 0w40.

Pardon my ignorance, but what are the benefits of using M1 0W40 FS or M1 Supercar 0W40 vs GM's specifying 5W30 ?

Pardon my ignorance, but what are the benefits of using M1 0W40 FS or M1 Supercar 0W40 vs GM's specifying 5W30 ?
No reason than just suggesting another option. The Supercar 0w40 is basically a 30/40 grade as it sites right on the border of the two grades with a HT/HS of 3.53. However being he doesn't track the car the 5w30 is perfectly fine as called for by the OEM.

Back