Lowest temp you ever started an engine.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Uphill_Both_Ways

I'm gonna put a bottle of M1 5W30 out there now and will see how it pours at –31C/–29F, or at whatever temp it drops to.

For what it’s worth — and it ain’t much.

I waited until 2 a.m., when the temperature fell to –30°C/–22°F, when I took two screen shots, and poured the small remainder of a litre of Mobil 1 5W30 in my left hand into a measuring cup sitting atop the back fence under a streetlight, with a stopwatch in my right hand.

It took 0:21:27 seconds for the oil to reach the 225-millilitre mark, 8.4 U.S. ounces, at which point it turned into a thin dribble. The bottle was almost empty.

The best answer as to what I proved wins the internet, but other than that I wanted to see how much faster synthetic 5W30 would flow than straight 30 dino, as slow as it did in the nightmare I recounted in another post.

Nothing up my sleeves and no gloves or mitts. And the car started without being plugged in after sitting seven or eight hours.

About - 15 F in Minneapolis Mn. Civic turned right over with some loud ticking for a few secs then just normal high revving

Originally Posted By: Bluestream
You people in the south who think 32F is cold, don't know cold. I have seen -40F three times in my life. ... It you have never been in those type of temps; it's like going to another planet.

It goes both ways. People up north think 90F is hot. Dozens or hundreds die during heatwaves.

2001 toyota echo strarted at 5am today in -28c (-18f), she wasn't happy turned over a good 5 times before starting with a big shake for that mighty 1.5l engine.

No block heater, Ive been using a magnetic oil pan heater but I don't think I had it in a great position last night.

Originally Posted By: Bluestream
“You people in the south who think 32F is cold, don't know cold. I have seen -40F three times in my life. ... It you have never been in those type of temps; it's like going to another planet.”

I can certainly attest to this statement. I experienced-35-40F temps during a winter patrol in the Bering Sea up around the Pribilofs. The wind was running 60 knots plus as well. Exposed skin froze. The winds increased to over 100 knots in the following days as a large storm came through. Our ship suffered enough damage to be put on Charlie status when we pulled into Kodiak.

Originally Posted By: BJD78
Probably -30 to -35 on a few occasions back in late 70's vehicles with big V8s and 10w40 oil. Lincoln NE is looking at a -18 this new years night, no reason to try and start my vehicles so I wont even try.I have no doubt they would start though as they are all 4 cyls with decent batteries. Staying inside and watching some football so unless I run out of something essential product like TP or beer my vehicles will be resting until more pleasant temps arrive.
Happy New Year to you BJD8.

Originally Posted By: Crispysea
It goes both ways. People up north think 90F is hot. Dozens or hundreds die during heatwaves.

This region has some of the hottest temperatures in North America and the coldest. I, unfortunately, know both, but would rather have the heat!

When I was living in Central NY, we had -20 degree weather. Got my 1979 Bronco started with 5w-30 Mobil 1. Around the same time I put Mobil 1 and Chevron 10w-30 in glass jars and left them out for the night. The conventional Chevron would barely pour! Fun times.

Coldest start: -18 F several times in Mpls.

Coldest I've ever been in was -32 F in Ontario....picked the wrong week for a quick ice fishing trip.

Don't remember exact dates; but a couple of incidents stand out:

In the mid-1990's I had a 1985 Buick Skyhawk with a 2L 4-cylinder. I don't think it had a block heater, and I started it on a very cold morning - somewhere around -25C. It cranked very slowly and started (GTX 5W-30 in it), and went into high idle. Problem is, it wouldn't come out of high idle. I put it in drive after a few minutes to drive off, and it drove itself w/o me touching the gas. It got up to about 25 miles an hour on its own and just pulled along there. I had about a 2.5-mile drive to work, it was an early Sunday morning with no traffic, and I never touched the gas pedal to drive to work - car went the whole way locked on fast idle.

A few years ago XMas morning in the Ottawa Valley was -29.5C air temp. My 2003 Mazda Tribute V-6 with 10W-30 dino/blend in the sump would not crank over fast enough to start. Took about 15 minutes of boosting it and letting it rest to get it to start, and it made horrible noises. Engine started burning a lot more oil after that; and motor quit about 1.5 years later. I'll never use conventional 10W-30 in the winter again after that.

-20 Cable, Wi. The last couple weeks my old 350 has been just fine starting in negative temps. Fuel Injection is a beautiful thing.

don't know about the coldest but it's currently -31 C here right now tonight, and the Trax with mobil 1 5w30 just started fine. of course the block heater has been plugged in all day.

Originally Posted By: andrewp1998
Compare it to 0w M1 if you have a bottle?

I'd have to buy one, but M1 0W-30 always seems to sell only at full retail around here. I have two M1 4.4-litre 5W-30 jugs that'll probably take me into 2019.

Incidentally, it was so cold the other night that the zoo locked the penguins indoors.

Last edited:
-5f for a while over night, -1f this morning. Started just as easily as always. Let it run for 2 min and I then leave, coast downhill for about 1/2 mile. Then it is easy on the gas for a long time. Can really feel how the truck is sluggish due to diffs, transmission, engine, etc.

It takes FOREVER to get the inside warmed up, as well as for the trans to get to temp in my truck at these temps. Has been like this since new, only thing I do not like about my tundra.

Cant wait until spring, done with this already.

I think it was -30F. 1988 Ford Bronco with a 302. I had synthetic blend 10w-30 in it and a big battery. It cranked slow but started fine. Power steering pump make some freaky noises for a while, but it drove fine after warming up for a while.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back