Lowes has 8 different battery powered lawn mowers in stock near me

Status
Not open for further replies.
Was at Lowes looking at the mowers and noticed the push towards battery powered units. One mower in the pic is a corded electric, the others use a battery.

[Linked Image]

I had contemplated buying an electric one back in January but I just have too much square footage for the runtime. I settled on a Honda hrx.

They do seem to be good for smaller lawns though. I have a battery trimmer and blower that work wonderfully but with a lawnmower you have to remember each battery charge is less and less time until its no good any more.

80 volts is nothing if the internal resistance of the battery pack means it won't make HP.

A corded mower can only by definition make 1.5 hp. I expect these aren't even up to this standard.

I'll take my gas mower, or one of those "roomba" robot mowers that perpetually grooms, when they become viable.

I had a corded mower for years. The newer ones don't seem to last as long. But yeah, never really had trouble with the corded ones. If the grass grew pretty high, you'd just set it on the highest setting and you end up mowing slower. It would bog down when it hit a tough patch, but you'd just stop and it would pick up speed again once it finished cutting. It was a rental so I didn't really care too much if it was great or not.

I could see it for a really small yard. I use a pushmower to trim a bit. Its not run that much. I could get away with an electric push, but my gas pushmower is my backup for my zero turn. If it had a problem, i can still mow my yard in a bout an hour maybe hour and 1/2 with the push. Battery push would never do that.

I have 2.5 acres to cut; if I can't get to it with either one of my ZTR mowers I hit it with Roundup. The only exception is a small fenced area. I am buying a cordless electric to cut that.

As far as I can tell, most new neighbourhoods have pretty small lawns. Those are the guys buying mowers. Us Bitoggers probably have larger lawns and haven't bought a mower in 10 years, so we aren't the target consumer.
lol.gif

As far as the new push mowers go, 80 V with 4 Amp hr batteries are the latest and greatest.

CC43AA58-05DE-4EED-B7BE-307B317FB6EF.jpeg

Last edited:
People in Florida with Saint Augustine grass have trouble with tall grass and battery life. If you have that grass, get the best electric one you can get.

I have 7 acres, most has to be mowed. I use a JD 425 w/60" deck and a Ryobi 40V for the trimming. I didn't think I'd like it, but I'm here to tell you it's a beast. Not the best battery mower out there, but real darn good. If I hand mowed more than I do, I'd have an EGO, they are more powerful than a lot of gas engine mowers and are built like a tank. The Ryobi is not as tough built, not that it's a wimp, but just not quite up to the same abuse. I've mowed grass 6"+ with the Ryobi and it mows fine. I don't currently have the discharge chute for it, so I have to mulch, but it's gets the job done.
I would say to all the nay sayers, these are not your grandad's electric mowers these days. they've come a long way. I bought mine primarily because I wanted a lightweight mower for banks, and flymows are not around anymore. It wasn't until I got it home and used it, that I realized how well it really mows. I was swayed from buying an EGO because when I got there, they had a returned Ryobi on clearance and I thought , hey I'll give it a try. and the manager said I could return it no sweat if it didn't work out, well, I've still got it and used it all season last year!

Last edited:
Originally Posted by Cujet
People in Florida with Saint Augustine grass have trouble with tall grass and battery life. If you have that grass, get the best electric one you can get.

So true. The grass down here is thick and tough, I'm about 45 mins north of St. Augustine and less than a mile from the coast. Originally from Ohio and the grass here It is not like northern grass. Even inland Florida has different grass. Wonder what makes the coastal grass so tough? The salt?

They are becoming more and more popular here. The Stihl mowers seem to be very good. I know two people who have them. They really like them.

My train of thought. If it has a 4 cycle engine on a mower it is good to go. If I have a 2 cycle engine on a trimmer or a blower
battery power is what I would rather have. My 2 cycle string trimmers now back up the battery string trimmer.

If I had a nice flat lawn in town that I mowed with a push mower, the EGO would definitely be at the top of my list. I got to use one that a neighbor bought and it is the real deal. I wouldn't be afraid to depend on it for all my push mowing and don't think I'd be giving up a thing to any gas mower. It's just so nice to be able to stand them up and clean them, and store them, without any fear of something leaking out. I was simply amazed at the tough, high grass the EGO blazed though without so much as a hint of bogging down. I was really impressed with it. the only downside, for me, is the EGO is heavier by far than the Ryobi, and I wanted to be able to get it up on banks to mow where the tractor has no business, and for that, it works fine.
I'm serious, anyone who has doubts should try one. I've worked on mowers all my life,(I'm 62) and can get any mower to run, but electric is much nicer to deal with and now that power is no longer an issue, there's no reason to look back.

Originally Posted by Cujet

I have St Augustine here. It really helps to dethatch it at least once a year. Aerating helps too. Been using Hondas for years, including vacuuming leaves in the fall and winter. Seriously considering an Ego, but vacuuming seems to be an issue with cordless.

Last edited:
I'm on my second season with batteries and mower, just mowed a piece of field that was pretty thick and about 6-7" high from not being able to get the tractor in there for the wet ground. It did fine and mowed it all with me going fairly quickly, not full speed or anything like that, but remember it's a mulcher, so I dunno. I really haven't had any complaints about this Ryobi yet. My neighbors can't believe I have it, and then they see me mowing and can't believe the way it cuts. I'm impressed a year and a half later, and that comes from a guy who thought he'd never switch from a gas mower. If you wanna try one HD has a full year ( I believe, can't remember what the manager told me, but it was a while) to return them, you really can't go wrong.

Originally Posted by bchannell
I'm on my second season with batteries and mower, just mowed a piece of field that was pretty thick and about 6-7" high from not being able to get the tractor in there for the wet ground. It did fine and mowed it all with me going fairly quickly, not full speed or anything like that, but remember it's a mulcher, so I dunno. I really haven't had any complaints about this Ryobi yet. My neighbors can't believe I have it, and then they see me mowing and can't believe the way it cuts. I'm impressed a year and a half later, and that comes from a guy who thought he'd never switch from a gas mower. If you wanna try one HD has a full year ( I believe, can't remember what the manager told me, but it was a while) to return them, you really can't go wrong.

HD is 90 days. Still plenty of time to evaluate.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back