Lower Unit Lubrication

Status
Not open for further replies.
I use Lubriplate 105 in the lower units of my outboards (older model Johnsons). Are there any synthetic alternate lubricants available that I might consider?

I have owned a couple of outboards but none of them ever used grease in thier lower unit. If I'm not mistaken Lubriplate 105 is a NLGI 0 calicum based grease. This grease is not really intended for gears. I have always use syn 80W90 Pennsoil from Wal-mart thaat has a GL-5 rating.

As I previously stated, 80w90 is much too thin for my use. It would quickly run out past the seals, some of which are cork. Thanks anyway.

The 80W90 lube is much too thin for my outboards. My newest motor is a 1947 2.5 BHP unit and the oldest is a 1925 2 BHP kicker. I'm just looking for ideas for a different (maybe synthetic) lubricant. Thanks for the post.

I'm sorry about not understanding (older model Johnson). When you said older model, you meant what Noah used on the Ark. I have looked through my books and it is hard to find a SYN grease for your application (GEARS). The grease you are using now is designed for bearings and slides. (Lightly loaded. What ever you choose, make sure it is compatible with the calicum thickener you are using now, or do a complete flush of your housing. Calicum is not compatable with most other thickners. That is outstanding you have these old of motors and still running.

offtopic.gif
Bob, it's good to see you posting on the site. Hope all is going well for you.
cheers.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back