Low RPM and oil circulation

Originally Posted by Marco620
Keeping fresh clean fluid is the fountain of youth for a transmission.

^^This

Originally Posted by ammolab
If only he knew what RPM a recent Corvette spins @ 70 MPH! ......

lol My dads 98 vette did like 1500 at 70mph.

Originally Posted by mahanddeem
Originally Posted by OilUzer
Do you have an OD on/off switch or something like S4 or D4?

No overdrive on/off switch, but it has manual mode which allows driver to manually "shift gears" or technically choose ratios on the CVT.

No OD switch ...
on freeway, you can use the manual mode and keep the transmission in 5th or 4th (If 6 speed auto) and you will have a higher rpm.

once in a while I do this with our only gdi car to get the RPM to ~3-4K for 20 minutes or so ... That is if I get a chance to drive it (wife's car). Otherwise rpm is ~2K even at 60 or 70 mph.

Clipping around town on the parkways I run less than 1500 @40-50 mph.at 75 if I lock in 6 th it's at 2k or under everyone and then it drops to 5th 2250 or 4th 3300 if there is a load such as hills or headwinds sometimes when on the interstate I can be at 3300-3500 for a good 50% of a 4-5 hour trip while with a tailwind it is happy to stay in 6th.
After 36k miles on the Tacoma I stopped being concerned about it. I am getting an average of 21.5 miles to the gallon in a 4 wheel drive truck. And I am certain that 6.4 quarts of oil (5w30 RGT currently)in the sump is circulating just fine.

Originally Posted by mahanddeem
I am nervous to give it more gas for higher torque since the CVT in these cars is the weakest point.

I was thinking, would that (at least on the long run) cause oil slugging, low flow and accumulation of carbon deposit?

First, the CVT in the Nissan V6's is quite good and they do last. Keeping it at one RPM on the highway will concentrate the wear in one location on the pulleys. Not a bad idea to vary speed and RPM.

2000 RPM is plenty high to circulate oil. Try standing next to the engine (really) when it's operating at 2000 RPM in neutral, you'll see what I mean.

Back