Low Oil Pressure Warning Audi 4.2FSI

2007 Audi A8 4.2, with 143K, got the low oil pressure warning after going above 2000rpm. This car has been problem free for years and I do all my own maintenance, just did an oil change 2000 miles ago. Decided to pull the oil filter out and this car has a cartridge type filter. The small nipple on the bottom of the filter broke off and I cannot locate it in the oil filter housing. It is a small piece of plastic, would this cause my low oil pressure?

Attachments

• s-l300.jpg
    s-l300.jpg
    13.2 KB · Views: 46
Time for an engine swap.

2007 Audi A8 4.2, with 143K, got the low oil pressure warning after going above 2000rpm. This car has been problem free for years and I do all my own maintenance, just did an oil change 2000 miles ago. Decided to pull the oil filter out and this car has a cartridge type filter. The small nipple on the bottom of the filter broke off and I cannot locate it in the oil filter housing. It is a small piece of plastic, would this cause my low oil pressure?

It could, you need to pull the housing and see if you can find it, it may be stuck in the housing body but at this point the engine may be toasted.
This is what you need to remove. This is not the engine you want to get into, it is difficult on almost every level, on an 07 if the engine is toast I would sell it for parts.

audi.jpg

I’ve taken that off about 5yrs ago to repair an oil leak; it was a PIA. The car starts and runs fine, it’s just when you rev it up to 2000rpms, it triggers the low oil pressure and starts to sputter. Looks like I’ll be taking off the intake manifold. Does anyone know where that hole in the front of the above picture goes? That’s the only place this piece could’ve gone...that’s the hole the broken piece of the filter goes to.

there's an o-ring on the broken part. put a new filter in and see if you get decent oil pressure. The nipple closes a drain so you were pumping oil back to the sump I believe.

Do you know where the pressure relief is on this engine?
You need to remove that piece, this is AFAIK the oil filter bypass/pressure relief. Different years had other locations.

audi2.jpg

I think what has happened is the broken piece has lodged itself between the return and oil galley port. That is all I can think of that would trigger the pressure warning at higher rpm and not at idle, it is starving for oil. You should be able to find the broken piece in this assembly by removing that and blowing it through with compressed air from the lower flange.

there's an o-ring on the broken part. put a new filter in and see if you get decent oil pressure. The nipple closes a drain so you were pumping oil back to the sump I believe.
+1 Hopefully he did not put that broken filter in, it will never have enough pressure for the reason you stated.

if i remember right the oil pressure warning on older audis only triggers at 2k RPM or more

we drove a little 1.8t a4 with the oil pressure light blaring and all the lifters clacking away for 30 minutes all the way to the shop.

slapped a new oil pump in and it was like it never even happened. that car is still going 5 years later

+1 Hopefully he did not put that broken filter in, it will never have enough pressure for the reason you stated.
No, I removed the old filter and the car has been parked. I’ll try a new filter and oil change, if that doesn’t change anything, I will pull the intake and oil filter housing. Thanks

Did an oil and filter change the other day and everything is back as normal. I probably won’t be buying any more Napa Gold oil filters, but the cad has been sitting more than usual as I’ve only put on 2000 miles in the past year due to having another vehicle. Thanks for all your help, glad I didn’t have to take off the intake manifold again.

Usually these nipples simply open a hole that allows the oil within the filter housing to drain into the sump.

Your low oil pressure warning is likely because the majority of the oil the pump is trying to get around the engine is just running straight back into the sump and not getting around the engine.

Just try put a new filter in and see what happens! If that nipple has found it's way into the sump I can't imagine it doing any harm.

Did an oil and filter change the other day and everything is back as normal. I probably won’t be buying any more Napa Gold oil filters, but the cad has been sitting more than usual as I’ve only put on 2000 miles in the past year due to having another vehicle. Thanks for all your help, glad I didn’t have to take off the intake manifold again.
German car? Oil filters: MANN, MAHLE or Hengst. No deviation from that whatsoever IMO.

Back