Loud Creaking Underneath my truck

Status
Not open for further replies.
ok, this is a 2003 Ford Ranger & yeah I get that it's gonna creak as it ages.

The thing is I had it at the mechanic's less than a month ago to check sounds I heard from the brakes & he found the RF ball joint was bad. That had been creaking something fierce but I had grown used to it & since I'd had ball joint replaced a few yrs ago figured it was ok. He showed it too me and wow it was about to go. What happened was after he replaced it the noise IT was making has quieted down so much now I'm hearing all these other sounds and it's got me worried.

Mostly tho it's this big loud thunk right smack dab in the middle of the front, more or less towards the front, if I go over a rough patch of road or an uneven speed bump (lots of bad roads here in the Bronx where I live).

Even tho I seriously trust my mechanic - I do like to have some info when I take it in to him to ask him to take a look.

Any clues here? it's got +165,000 miles on it; I bought it at 107,000, had it since 2009 so no, I don't drive that much but have taken it x-country 2x.

Title reads creaking then you wrote thunk. These two sounds are not alike. Does it have 4WD?

Either get under it and poke, tug and pry, or just tell your concerns to the mechanic. If he's putting generic parts on and that's why your BJ already failed again without putting many miles on, discuss the major brand component options.

At 134,000 miles, the End Links (of sway bar) broke and needed replacing.
I also changed the Sway Bar Bushings.
All easy work to do.

Here's an Internet Photo showing End Links …. the part with the 'red' bushings.
[Linked Image]

Those sway bar end links on any car will either clunk or squeak. The one that died on my last car sounded just like a couple goin at it on an old box spring every time it hit a bump. It only gets worse. Just grab on and shake. If it's loose it'll be obvious....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back