Losing 1 qt per 3000 miles - 2002 MGM

Status
Not open for further replies.
My Mercury Grand Marquis has 150,000 miles on it. My OCI is 5000 miles using MC 5w20 mostly and MC filter.

For the last 50,000 miles or so I started having to top off a quart every 3000 miles or so.

Is there any other type of oil like the higher mileage oils that will either prevent or help this oil loss?

The cheap in me is saying if the higher mileage oil is $20 per 5 qts, and I pay $15 for MC, the $5 in difference I use to put back into the car when I top off.

What do you think?

TIA

Try Maxlife 5w-20 or 30. Lots of folks, myself included have had good results reducing oil consumption with it. Will only cost $20 to find out.

The car is no good. However, since it is in Arizona and has no rust, you can donate it to me
smile.gif

Check your PCV valve and plumbing. Common consumption point on the modulars and Ford has a revised PCV pipe assembly for some of them to deal with the issue.

Thats not bad my 02 Accord uses a quart every 2000 miles. Which still is not bad. I just add a quart about once a month. Compared to what I spend on gas, its nothing.

Before I switched grades or tried a HM oil, I would try a different brand of 5w20 for a couple of OCI. Maybe PYB or GTX.

150K aint bad on a 4.6. I had a 95 CVPI for a patrol car that had 190K on it. It also used a quart every 3K. Nothing to be too concerned about, but a PCV change is prudent. Nothing wrong with running a HM 5w-30 in it either. I have seen agencies run anything from 5w-20 to 15w-40 in the 4.6. It doesn't seem to care a whole lot.

I had a 4.6 2v in my mustang. I ran an xw-40 in it since 20000kms on the engine and my cams looked new when I pulled the heads. That engine is happy with just about anything in it. Try going up a grade and see if it helps consumption.

I've got 190,000 miles on my 2001 Grand Marquis, and it uses ¼ quart between oil changes (6,250 miles) on 5W-30.

I would suggest using Amsoil Engine Flush or Lubro Moly Pro-Line Engine Flush to clean up the ring packs, replacing the PCV valve with a genuine Motorcraft EV-98-B and preferably installing an oil catch can. I've got a Steeda on mine.

Only other suggestion would be to switch to a lubricant that is preferably ACEA A3/B3/B4 or A5/B5 certified for the higher HTHS. I wouldn't bother with a high mileage oil unless you've got a leaky seal that is expensive to fix.

Originally Posted By: Falcon_LS
Only other suggestion would be to switch to a lubricant that is preferably ACEA A3/B3/B4 or A5/B5 certified for the higher HTHS. I wouldn't bother with a high mileage oil unless you've got a leaky seal that is expensive to fix.

For high mileage add packs and higher HTHS, try Mobil1 HM. 5w30 is A5/B5; 10w30 & 10w40 meet both A3/B3 & A3/B4

HTHS numbers:
5w30 = 3.3
10w30 = 3.5
10w40 = 3.9

http://www.mobil.com/USA-English/Lubes/PDS/NAXXENPVLMOMobil_1_High_Mileage_Oil.aspx

Thanks guys.

I think I bought a bottle of M1 HM 5w20. I'll try that first and work my way along the suggestions posted here.

I know that 1 qt per 3000 miles is not that much, but it still bugs me.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back