looks like I need a new phone

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello and good afternoon to all. my phone has been on the fritz lately and it looks like I might need a new one. the volume on my cell phone will cut out and I can not hear anybody on the other end but they can hear me . at the same time I lose volume on the keypad, so it sounds like a speaker issue. I have Verizon wireless and looked to see what they have for a replacement..... ummmmmmmmmmmmmmmm not much ! every phone they have is a smartphone and require a $30 a month data plan. my old phone is an LG VX 8700 and was happy with it. would not mind going to a newer phone but spening $30 a month on a data plan they are holding me hostage to their needs. needless to say I have had my phone for a few years and was not looking for a new one but this seems crazy to me. the thing that really gets me is our son is on our plan and his phone is on the way out too. so I guess they expect me to pay $60 a month for data on each line plus the price of a new phone. wish they would let me get a phone and pay for data as I go ( I would turn the date feature off and use wi fi if necessary ) in this day and age with wifif in al ot of places it seems silly to be paying so much for data , if you do not need it .

Last edited:
Cowboom. Com has a smartphone thunderbolt for under 150. Use your old plan, turn off cell data, and use on network for calls and at home w wifi.

Will that work as verizon does not use sim cards to activate their phones ? other wise I could find a phone I like and just turn off the data but Verizon will not register a phone with data ( at least the phones I saw on their website ) is the thunderbolt one of the granfathered phones from pre 2009 or whenever the new policy started ?

Last edited:
They will register a phone without data, provided you buy the phone outright. As far as I know, anyway...

Originally Posted By: MaximusD
They will register a phone without data, provided you buy the phone outright. As far as I know, anyway...

That I did not know. I thought they would make you buy a phone from them that is compatible on their network.

If you get a smartphone it will automatically add the data plan to your account. It does it as soon as you register the ESN or MEID on the MyVerizon site.

Thunderbolt will work on Verizon, the GSM SIM card is just for access to the 4G network and global roaming.

If you are looking for an alternative to paying for data and still want Verizon signal you should check out PagePlus Cellular. It is a prepaid company that runs off of Verizon. Here is there site: http://www.pagepluscellular.com/

I have been on them for over a year now. Fantastic company. Still get all the cool smartphones, Verizon service, and pay less than $30 a month.

I'll go a bit off topic here about using a 'smart' phone on a plan without the $30 data option, and this is specifically about AT&T, not any other carrier:

1.5 year old Samsung slider was dunked in a cup by a young child. There was no resurrecting it. First thought was to ask around in case a friend had an old AT&T phone they could spare.

One friend volunteered their old iPhone 3xx (GS?) that was long out of contract and paid for. Unfortunately the iPhones do not use a standard SIM cards, so contacted AT&T to move the line to this iPhone.

AT&T said you cannot use an iPhone wihout a data plan.

I understand that statement for phones under contract, but this phone was not!

They would not budge.

Samsung Galaxy S2. If available on verizon anyway. Best phone I've ever used. That, and even the new Nokia lumix is pretty impressive. Windows phone 7 is pretty decent considering where it was just a few years back with things like the Samsung Blackjack (anyone else have one of those? :D)

Originally Posted By: radtech91
If you get a smartphone it will automatically add the data plan to your account. It does it as soon as you register the ESN or MEID on the MyVerizon site.

Thunderbolt will work on Verizon, the GSM SIM card is just for access to the 4G network and global roaming.

So it sounds like if I add any smart phone the $30 data plan has to go on my account to get the phone working then ? wow if that is the case maybe I should look for a used LG VX 8700 and take it apart to replace the internal speaker in mine that is causing me my problems. can not stand that fact that they are trying to hold you hostage with a $30 month charge when there is access to so much wifi out there to use on your smartphone. really was hoping to pay as I go for data and turn off the date on the phone and use the wifi option. my son has a phone [censored] out as well and he wants a smartphone so they want me to pony up another $60 a month ..... sad isn't it ? thanks for the suggestions so far keep them coming please.

Originally Posted By: matrass

So it sounds like if I add any smart phone the $30 data plan has to go on my account to get the phone working then ? wow if that is the case maybe I should look for a used LG VX 8700 and take it apart to replace the internal speaker in mine that is causing me my problems. can not stand that fact that they are trying to hold you hostage with a $30 month charge when there is access to so much wifi out there to use on your smartphone. really was hoping to pay as I go for data and turn off the date on the phone and use the wifi option. my son has a phone [censored] out as well and he wants a smartphone so they want me to pony up another $60 a month ..... sad isn't it ? thanks for the suggestions so far keep them coming please.

No, trust me. If you have a smartphone then it would be next to useless without the data plan. There isn't as much wifi as you think there is. Having a smartphone myself, not having the data plan just wouldn't make sense.

Originally Posted By: Nick R
Originally Posted By: matrass

No, trust me. If you have a smartphone then it would be next to useless without the data plan. There isn't as much wifi as you think there is. Having a smartphone myself, not having the data plan just wouldn't make sense.

I hear what you are saying about the data plan but I have wi fi at home and work. I would not be using it a lot like most people so I think wi fi only would be enough for me.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back