Looking to purchase a 2002-2009 Nissan Altima

Status
Not open for further replies.
So, unfortunately, I'm looking at retiring my beloved 1999 Galant with the 6g72. It has 307,900 on the clock, uses a quart every 1000 miles, (still has factory clear coat!) nothing else wrong though.

I'm wanting a "newer" car and I like the Altima body styles of 2002-2009, speficially the 08 and 09's. Anything I should look at about these cars? I remember a while back reading about the catalytic converters can damage the engine but I can't recall what model years those were for.

Originally Posted By: CT8
I have to ask why a Nissan Altima?

Personal preference. Unless you can suggest something else to look at, I'm open.

Originally Posted By: 901Memphis
Nissan had some big teething issues with the CVT transition. Be careful, especially the 09. The first year of the CVT was approximately 2007.

http://longtermqualityindex.com/vehicles/Resources/Images/class/Mid-size/InClassQIR.png

http://www.carcomplaints.com/Nissan/Altima/

Assuming the hiigher number is better on that LTQI bar graph, I had no idea the Galant was rated with high reliability up with the Camry. IN my case, I did the timing belt and water pump at 50k intervals and regular maintenance on time and has been good to me.

Last edited:
Keep in mind that there really isn't a particular '02-'09 generation

3rd gen is '02-'06...Cat and auto tranny issues
4th gen is '07-'12...CVT and some suspension issues
5th gen is '13-present...CVT & Infotainment/Electronic issues

Stay far away from 02-03 2.5L Altimas. Unless altered by the owner early on, precats will fail (or have failed rendering the engine terminal. Those left without damage are either very low miles, extremely lucky, or altered(bored out) the precats early in ownership. To be on the safe side I'd likely avoid 04-06 2.5L too. As noted above, I'd stick with the V6 if Altima is your choice.

Nissan CVT's don't have a great reputation either.

I would avoid the Altima, as others have stated the earlier model years you are interested in had major cat issues that led to engine failure and the later model years have plenty of CVT issues. Full disclosure I am a Honda fanboy, but the 2005-2007 Accords should be in your price range and are extremely reliable, especially with the 4 cylinder. That is what I could recommend you search for.

Originally Posted By: BrownBox88
Originally Posted By: CT8
I have to ask why a Nissan Altima?

Personal preference. Unless you can suggest something else to look at, I'm open.

*cough* twenty year old Camry *cough*

I guess it comes down to, what do you want? Camry's are boring (and the 2.4L in those years you are thinking of are problematic), Accords are good but IIRC prone to road noise complaints (and the V6 automatic is not so good). Mazada's, assuming they didn't come down from up north, should be "fun" cars.

If you want a V6, DO NOT buy an Accord automatic V6! (the manuals are OK, though)

Also avoid the Mazda 6/Fusion/Milan/Zephyr/MKZ/X-Type as that V6 is known to have problems as well.

Other alternatives to the Altima:
06-07 Accord V6 4-door manual
04+ Acura TL manual
04+ Camry V6 or ES330/ES350
04-05 Impala SS supercharged

I know you said you wanted a V6, but would you take a V8? The 06+ Impala has a V8 for more fun. And if you're lucky, you can even find a V8 Impala SS with a front bench seat
smile.gif

Nissan also has the larger Maxima and G35 (same engine as the Altima you're looking at, so if you can find one on your budget, why not get a bigger car with more room?)

The CTS may also be worth looking at as well.

There's also a flat-6 version of the Legacy.

My youngest son has a 2006 Altima. Has 99k on the odmeter. Besides replacing the front and rear shocks, front and rear brakes, spark plugs and pcv valve at 90k, and 7.5k oci's with Mobil 1 full synthetic and Fram Ultras, he's never had an issue with it. I taught him from a young age the importance of maintenance on his vehicles. Or, maybe he's just lucky. IDK.

The nice thing about a 2002-09 Altima is it should cost considerably less than a Camry or Accord of that year range. Might find a gem, or not so much. A risk you will assume buying a 10yr/old used car.

Gotta love it when everyone in this thread bashes Nissan so hard because they read it on the Internet. How many here have actually owned an Altima? Considering they sell over 300,000 of them a year, you really don't hear of that many problems.

If you look online like most people do you will find lots of V6 Accords with transmission problems.
You will find lots of Toyota Camry Sludge Monsters. Toyota 2'4s with heavy oil drinking problems. You will find whatever you want to find.

Someone said the first year for the Nissan CVT was 07. It was actually 03, and the 03, and 04 Muranos did have some issues that were later corrected.
I would avoid the 02-06 Altimas because of Precat problems, but those are actually pretty good cars too if you delete the Precat, and loctite the intake butterfly screws.

My mom has a 07 2.5 Altima. It has over 140k on it. It's only needed ONE unexpected repair. The Blower motor relay failed. Put a new one in. No other problems to report. The car drives very well. I was actually leaning heavily towards an Accord before we settled on the Altima. It was a nicer driving car so I took the gamble. I was skeptical about the CVT initially as well.

The CVT works very well, and feels like new. I do change the fluid with Nissan CVT fluid every 25 - 30k

07- current Altimas are great cars. I have heard of some 09 - 12 models having the Steering Wheel lock fail which will disable the Push Button start so that is somewhat expensive. I've heard you can disable it by pulling a fuse before it fails.

The bottom line is Nissan sells over 500,000 CVT equipped vehicles a year, and they are not having epidemic failures like some want to believe. Take care of the car, and it will likely take care of you.

Quote:
Gotta love it when everyone in this thread bashes Nissan so hard because they read it on the Internet. How many here have actually owned an Altima?....

Hand goes up.

My reply regarding the 02, 03 2.5L Altima specifically not because of "what I read on the internet". My post about the Nissan precats failing is from documented personal experience as posted HERE. So in my case no bash, strictly fact based on personal experience and passing them along to the OP so he can avoid the same issue.

For the OP, Carcomplaints.com is a decent resource imo to look for issues on specific year, make and models.

I'm going to say DRIVE the Altima in those years and see if you actually like it before committing.

We have a 2010 2.5S sedan. We have 150k miles on it. No real issues. The AC compressor was replaced around 100k miles and that's it other than tires, brakes, fluid and filter changes.

Replace the fluid with Nissan genuine NS-2 or Valvoline CVT fluid and you'll be fine.

But make sure you like it. I hated driving it. The engine is unrefined. It sounds like a tractor. Driving the CVT is like driving a rubber band.

oilBabe enjoyed it, but I didn't care for the drive. But it was her daily driver, not mine.

I will say, she likes her 2017 Rav4 much better than the 2.5S sedan we handed down to one of the kids.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back