Looking to make a bulk 15w40 purchase

We are now using enough 15w40 that I’m looking to buy a 55 gallon drum. I am still pricing a few places out but RT4 is on sale at Sams for $538, I can get a drum of MFA 15w40 from our local coop for $557, looks like JD Plus 50 will be around $800 and I priced Schaeffer for around $1100. I think I can get a Detroit branded bottle of Delvac for $700ish from the local Freightliner dealer.

What would you go with and would you add anything to this list? Oil is going in anything from a lawnmower up to 100hp+ tractors as well as some older diesel pickups and a couple OTR trucks. It will also get used in old gas tractors and some old gas trucks.

I should add that the MFA is 7 miles away and the JD dealer is around 10 miles away. All other options are 50+ miles to the closest city.

$1100 comes to $5 a quart. You can get Mobil 1 at any Walmart for less. If you're buying by the drum, why not set up an account at a wholesale distributor and get a real discount?

Reactions: JC1
RT4 is $830 at walmart with free shipping.

Still a pretty awful deal. Cheaper to get 5 gallon buckets and then you get to have a cool bucket when you're done.

That doesn't sound like too great of a deal really, if you're only using a drum annually I'd just stick with bottles or maybe 5 gallon pails, Napa currently has 1 gallon jugs of their 15w40 for 9.69, if you look around at farm supply stores you can find cases of 15w40 gallons or larger 2-2.5gal jugs or 5 gallon pails of their house brands for around $7-8/gal

$1100 comes to $5 a quart. You can get Mobil 1 at any Walmart for less. If you're buying by the drum, why not set up an account at a wholesale distributor and get a real discount?
I will be calling a local oil distributor tomorrow to see what they offer. Its hard to go with Schaeffer just due to the fact that I’m not doing any extended drain intervals. If I was running 500 hours on oil in these tractors I have no doubt it would be the right choice.

RT4 is $830 at walmart with free shipping.

Still a pretty awful deal. Cheaper to get 5 gallon buckets and then you get to have a cool bucket when you're done.
Sams is the only way Rotella works out by the drum other than maybe a dedicated oil supplier.

I think I remember seeing the drums at Rural King can’t remember the price. I have seen the drums many places.
Edit: I see you don’t have a Rural King

We are now using enough 15w40 that I’m looking to buy a 55 gallon drum. I am still pricing a few places out but RT4 is on sale at Sams for $538, I can get a drum of MFA 15w40 from our local coop for $557, looks like JD Plus 50 will be around $800 and I priced Schaeffer for around $1100. I think I can get a Detroit branded bottle of Delvac for $700ish from the local Freightliner dealer.

What would you go with and would you add anything to this list? Oil is going in anything from a lawnmower up to 100hp+ tractors as well as some older diesel pickups and a couple OTR trucks. It will also get used in old gas tractors and some old gas trucks.

I should add that the MFA is 7 miles away and the JD dealer is around 10 miles away. All other options are 50+ miles to the closest city.
shop here:

Motor Oil - Greases & Lubricants - Automotive Chemicals & Compounds - Automotive & ATV - All Departments (ruralking.com)

Chevron Delo 400 15w40 is great truck oil, and for cars, too. Look up a Chevron oil marketer or Shell, or Exxon.

Again, to bad you don't live near a rural king. They have had mobil delvac mx f3 15w-40 on special for 39$ for 5 gallons for several months. Check your local napa they often have sales on oil in drums or several flavors

My Deere dealer has oil available in bulk tanks, meaning I can either buy a 55 gal drum of Plus 50 II or have them pump out of their bulk tank into my container. The bulk transfer is roughly 1/3 price of the Deere drums, albeit the same oil.

I will be calling a local oil distributor tomorrow to see what they offer. Its hard to go with Schaeffer just due to the fact that I’m not doing any extended drain intervals. If I was running 500 hours on oil in these tractors I have no doubt it would be the right choice.
With Schaeffer you could definitely run it longer, and do it safely. Costs a bit more up front but your equipment will run cooler and last longer. I almost became a Schaeffer rep awhile back. See your PMs.

Last edited:
A thick boutique oil like Schaeffer's 15w40?

No interest in saving the planet with fuel efficient Rotella 10w30?

86EC9BA0-1B27-4363-A6DA-95AC0A9AA936_4_5005_c.jpeg

Back