Looking to buy a '24 BRZ or Toyota GR 86.

IMG-7527.jpg
t
Got the manual..no choice. Runs like a bat out of hades
Congrats!!! Manual is the way. Enjoy it.

the subaru might be less reliable than the vw, but I've heard they're a little easier to fix

it depends. the VWs are hard to kill in a few hours of driving, but are picky about maintenance. the Subarus just randomly fail early or on a corner, or they last forever with 3 oil changes.

The new FA engines are not too bad in terms of reliability, EJ engines were horrible and I think that's why Subaru has a bad reputation (especially head gaskets)

As long as you follow maintenance guidelines, you should have no issues with the latest VWs. The only thing that can go wrong with EA888 engines is the water pumps.

It's important to remember that EA888 engines have bigger shoes to fill, it must to be good to compete in the luxury segment, too. They are used in three different brands, including Porsche.

Congrats on your purchase Al! This kind of came out of nowhere as it sounded like you were going to keep your Forester for a while!
What oil do you plan on running in it?

After 2 weeks I really like the car. It gets around 27mpg in suburban driving. But I drive it very conservatively. Over all the years with many stick shifts...when I am coming to a stop I put in the clutch and put it in neutral (when traffic permits). I know-illegal but so be it.

Probably a safe vehicle, as are all later models. You are really tucked in a relatively small compartment which will likely stay intact. Rear seats are useless. Tires are Michelin Primacy 4.

My '22 Forester needed some services probably costing about $700 (CVT/Front Dif. oil, Brake Fluid, New tires $1400, and now I have a new warranty. So I laid out $6500 but the above values make the loss about $3K (assuming my '22 could need uncovered warranty work in the next 3 years).

Ride is VERY firm but handling is a 10. It has eyesight, automatic breaking, and interactive cruise control. It does not have blind detection or automatic breaking in reverse. It has Strut tower braces. Like all subarus it has crash notification and the SOS, and Info Buttons. Its more like a subaru than a toyota. Obviously the handling is partly due to the low slung boxer engine.

IMG-7567.jpg

IMG-7549.jpg

Last edited:
Back