Looking for snow wheels for my Kia Niro EV

This is the time to shop for snow tire wheels. My new Kia Niro EV (like it a lot so far) has a GVWR of 4,780#. I don't know if I can use any take-off wheels that meet all the dimension specs, or if I need stouter wheels for the weight of a heavy EV. Several models of Kia, Hyundai, and Mazda wheels will fit, but will they safely carry the weight? Is this something to be concerned about? I guess I can look at take-off choices and see what tire load index they had for original specs.

The wheels are 17x7", 5x114.3 bolt circle, 52mm offset, 67.1mm center bore, 12mm studs. I think 16x6.5" would also fit over the calipers, and they'll take the optional size tires. Tire size is 215/55R17 94V. Optional is 215/60R16 95H (Blizzak) or 99H (X-Ice Snow).

Is there a better idea?

Dodge Caravans from the 1990s have the same lug pattern and a 71.5 center bore. Should be a zillion of those and of course they'd be rugged enough.

If you want TPMS make sure whatever rim you get accepts a sensor-- I got some universal steelies that had the hole drilled at an awkward angle, that didn't work right.

Your biggest challenge will be the relatively large center bore... Toyota for example is 60.1mm. Hopefully this works for you as a heavier vehicle will need a bigger hub.

Last edited:
This is the time to shop for snow tire wheels. My new Kia Niro EV (like it a lot so far) has a GVWR of 4,780#. I don't know if I can use any take-off wheels that meet all the dimension specs, or if I need stouter wheels for the weight of a heavy EV. Several models of Kia, Hyundai, and Mazda wheels will fit, but will they safely carry the weight? Is this something to be concerned about? I guess I can look at take-off choices and see what tire load index they had for original specs.

The wheels are 17x7", 5x114.3 bolt circle, 52mm offset, 67.1mm center bore, 12mm studs. I think 16x6.5" would also fit over the calipers, and they'll take the optional size tires. Tire size is 215/55R17 94V. Optional is 215/60R16 95H (Blizzak) or 99H (X-Ice Snow).

Is there a better idea?

I have a set of Kia EV6 rims you could have for $500 ;-)

Back