Looking for RWD sedans with manual tranny

Status
Not open for further replies.
Not easy, but on the Impala SS forum, many people have put 6 speed manual transmissions in the Impala. That would be a blast. Just sold my black 96 SS with 55kmi. I will miss it.

Originally Posted By: Traction
Just sold my black 96 SS with 55kmi. I will miss it.

Those were sweet cars!!

@Quattro Pete:

I'm looking at not more than $40k new or not more than 5 years old. It's tough to find one. I was hoping for Scion/Subaru to release a 4-door version of the FRS/BRZ. I'd take it in a heartbeat since it may only be around $25-30k.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: SHOZ
Hyundai Genesis Coupe but it's only 2dr and forget about using the rear seat for people.

Good suggestion. I was looking at Mazda RX8 with the two suicide doors too since it's a 4-door in thoery. But, rotaries aren't my thing since they require extra care and maintenance.

Originally Posted By: gregoron
I'm looking at not more than $40k new or not more than 5 years old.

In that case, a used M3 that dparm recommended would be a blast.

Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete
I'm looking at not more than $40k new or not more than 5 years old.

In that case, a used M3 that dparm recommended would be a blast.

Yep, or a lightly-used Infiniti G35/G37. They can be had with a 6MT and are basically 95% of the 350Z/370Z performance.

Originally Posted By: IndyIan
Recent used cars would be the G35, IS250, IS300.
If you have the cash for new though, try a manually shifted auto. Some do rev matched downshifts and allow you to hit the limiter. They sound like they would be fun if they work well.

Actually, I was surprised to learn that the G35 was available in manual tranny. This or the IS250 might fit the bill along with an used 3-series BMW. I'm leaning toward the Japanese models as they may be lighter and a few tuning (i.e. stiffer anti-roll bar) may give it Euro like cornering.

Originally Posted By: dparm
Yep, or a lightly-used Infiniti G35/G37.

I test drove one last year, and came away disappointed. It just isn't a driver's car, despite the manual trans. You feel isolated from the road, and the performance wasn't as visceral as the 328 hp rating would have you believe. It sounded somewhat unrefined at higher RPMs as well, but I'm nitpicking at this point.

In any case, after that test drive, I decided to keep my 530i, despite having 100 less hp.

I test drove one last year, and came away disappointed. It just isn't a driver's car, despite the manual trans. You feel isolated from the road, and the performance wasn't as visceral as the 328 hp rating would have you believe. It sounded somewhat unrefined at higher RPMs as well, but I'm nitpicking at this point.

In any case, after that test drive, I decided to keep my 530i, despite having 100 less hp.

Shoot. A driver's car is what I'm looking for. If this car feels numb to drive I wouldn't want it. I'm looking at something that's as nimble like a GTI or Jetta without the torque-steer and something that I can possibly oversteer (i.e. drift). Also, I'd like to have short gearing as well. I know, I'm asking the impossible.

Last edited:
Shoot. A driver's car is what I'm looking for. If this car feels numb to drive I wouldn't want it.

The 328i GT I test drove recently was a lot of fun, on the other hand, despite being an automatic. The trans is very responsive, and so is the turbo.

Shoot. A driver's car is what I'm looking for. If this car feels numb to drive I wouldn't want it.

The 328i GT I test drove recently was a lot of fun, on the other hand, despite being an automatic. The trans is very responsive, and so is the turbo.

Thanks, sorry for editing my post after you replied. If new, the 3-series is still available in manual. But it has to be ordered from the factory and delivered to a US dealer. That might be an option. However, I'm worried about reliability and maintenance on BMW's in the long run. I can work on cars myself as I've maintained my Jetta pretty well. It's the electronics I'm not good at. And those can be expensive to replace.

I can work on cars myself as I've maintained my Jetta pretty well. It's the electronics I'm not good at. And those can be expensive to replace.

Sadly, all new cars are loaded with electronics. You need a specialized computer just to diagnose what's going in. This goes for both Germans and Japanese alike these days. The amount of electronic gizmos in the new Infinity Q50 is staggering.

Gregoron, I would really urge you to look at an M3. There's a reason that car is considered the benchmark. Go drive one and you will immediately understand why there is so much hype around it.

It is one of the most reliable cars BMW has ever made. The service techs, service writers, owners, and even the big publications all say it. If you are concerned about too many electronics, the M3 can be had without navigation and other gizmos.

I can work on cars myself as I've maintained my Jetta pretty well. It's the electronics I'm not good at. And those can be expensive to replace.

Sadly, all new cars are loaded with electronics. You need a specialized computer just to diagnose what's going in. This goes for both Germans and Japanese alike these days. The amount of electronic gizmos in the new Infinity Q50 is staggering.

That's what I'm afraid of. I guess I wouldn't mind waiting for the 4-door BRZ/FRS from Scio-baru if it does come out. They should be simple cars to maintain. If they don't get released, I'd have to convince the wife for a 2-door instead.

Shoot. A driver's car is what I'm looking for. If this car feels numb to drive I wouldn't want it. I'm looking at something that's as nimble like a GTI or Jetta without the torque-steer and something that I can possibly oversteer (i.e. drift). Also, I'd like to have short gearing as well. I know, I'm asking the impossible.

Maybe just find an old BMW 3 series, E30 or E36. Buy one from a mature owner with records and enjoy for a fraction of a new(er) car. There are lots of forums to help you fine tune it to what you want.
tumblr_mi4bh2ydaA1s5s2hho1_500.jpg

Originally Posted By: IndyIan

Maybe just find an old BMW 3 series, E30 or E36. Buy one from a mature owner with records and enjoy for a fraction of a new(er) car. There are lots of forums to help you fine tune it to what you want.
tumblr_mi4bh2ydaA1s5s2hho1_500.jpg

That would be an option too. Or, an old MB 190E 2.6 - its DTM rival. I think the electronics on these cars should not be as complicated as newer ones provided they've been cared for.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: rjundi
Unicorn seeker.. but not as bad as my wife who wants a manual station wagon with decent power.

this may help at least narrow manual transmissions but does not filter RWD+ manual:
http://www.rearwheeldrive.org/rwd/manualtransmissionlist.html

Thanks for this link. Yes, I'm looking for a unicorn. Sadly, it'll probably be an old one that time and market forces forgot.

You may want to point your wife to a WRX 4-door hatchback.

Good luck finding a cheap and well-maintained E30 or E36 M3. Those things have skyrocketed in price lately.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back