Looking for new wheel bearing grease for boat trailer.

How does polyurea washout in the same order of magnitude as a soap? Is it soluble with water in a similar, strong way?

Yeah interesting that the polyurea did the worst out of the group I listed.
After looking up the specs on some other polyurea greases in comparison to Lucas oil xtra duty.
Magnalube-g- 5%
Mobil polyrex em nlgi 2 -1.9%

It appears polyurea can be water resistant however Lucas xtra duty seems not to do as well as others.

Since the ASTM D1264 reproducibility is relative high and you can assume that you have a list of greases with similar water washout characteristics, I would look at ASTM D6138, corrosion preventive properties of lubricating grease under dynamic wet condition (Emcor) using synthetic seawater.

I am not familiar with the Traveller product, but generally speaking a Calcium Sulfonate grease would be a big improvement over lithium complex for a "wet" application. Same with aluminum complex.
Yep. I use Petro-Canada OG-1 & 2 in just about everything including chainsaw bars and railway switches.

I use the TSC marine blue grease on my 4wheelers and side by sides. I use it because we ride in mud and water and snow. Not to mention that they get power washed regularly. After every cleaning I pump the fittings full of the blue grease and let it ride. So far so good.

I picked up a few tubes of the traveler marine grease today to try, I bought a case of Schaeffers 219 back in summer to try out. Schaeffers claims 800kg weld point but no timken load rating so next I tried using Valvoline cobalt which has a lithium sulphonate base with 800kg weld point along with 70 timken load. So far I have really liked the cobalt with it’s tackynes and high weld point. However I just read the data sheet on the travelled marine and it has a water wash out (Astm d1264) @ 175 degrees of .5%. I have yet to find a better washout %.

Lucas marine 2.5%
Lucas xtra duty grease 10%
Schaeffers 219 5.57%
Amzoil marine 1.25%
Mystic jt-6. 2.5%
Mystic marine (@100 degrees Fahrenheit) .9%
880 crown and chassis 1.3%
Green grease only shows their washout as pass.

I’m curious if anyone found a grease with better washout? I’m sure there is but I’m very impressed with the numbers from traveller marine and for $6.
I can’t help with your question but I will go to bat for the 219. I use it in many many applications and trailer bearings is one. It will work fine.

Back