Looking For Good Transmission Filter For 01 Avalon

Status
Not open for further replies.
Looking for a good readily available transmission filter from either Auto Zone, Napa, or Advance Auto for a 2001 Toyota Avalon.. He will be using Valvoline Maxlife Dex- Merc ATF

Its not really a filter, more like a fine screen in that era Toyota. So i can't imagine it clogging. I have never replaced a transmission filter in a Toyota, just the fluid. But if I did I would go to the dealer. Seems that Toyota prefers flow over efficiency with all the filters (oil, air, transmission, etc). Also Toyota dealer parts are reasonably priced. If you have a dealer close to you why not. But IMO don't bother, just drain and fill once a year. Or do exchange through the cooler line.

I have never had a problem with the duralast transmission filter kit for any of our cars. It includes the filter and pan gasket. Done it on 4 of our cars and 2 of them have gone 100k miles since with no problems.

The Toyota filter is about twice or more as expensive for some reason. It is a filter with media, not a screen. On the 02 Camry which is very similar, I used a Wix the one time I changed it. Made in Korea if I remember right. I probably would shop around if doing again. I would use only Toyota fluid of the type per the owners manual. The 02 Camry takes T-IV. Some people said Dexron, which I am glad I didn't listen, because they didn't give right advice. A universal fluid that meets specs on many cars is not the same as Toyota fluid. As for all Toyota filters favor flow over filtration, that's a myth.

Isn't it a strainer? If so, if it looks clean, just leave it be.

On my Camry I bought a Duralast kit, which came with a strainer. I looked up into my trans, didn't see anything in the strainer, so I left it in place. But the Duralast kit came with what looked like a decent rubber gasket, which might take to reuse. So the $12 "kit" was worth it just for the gasket IMO.

Originally Posted By: LeakySeals
Its not really a filter, more like a fine screen in that era Toyota. So i can't imagine it clogging. I have never replaced a transmission filter in a Toyota, just the fluid. But if I did I would go to the dealer. Seems that Toyota prefers flow over efficiency with all the filters (oil, air, transmission, etc). Also Toyota dealer parts are reasonably priced. If you have a dealer close to you why not. But IMO don't bother, just drain and fill once a year. Or do exchange through the cooler line.

+1

its not my vehicle and its about 500 miles away from me but i would never install an extra filter in an automatic transmission ..Most damage is done when a filter clogs and restricts flow. When my bother had a trans shop he used a Wix made filter in most of his rebuilds rebuilds and sometimes filtran i think he said but the person doing his own trans change just wants to buy a filter and get it over with.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back