Looking for decent all season

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yep, I figure, it's worth a few bucks to stay on this side of crossing all T's and dotting all i's. It is the wife's car, and the kid-hauler, so, it's worth a few bucks.

Yep, lousy wear. We had "MXV4" on it initially--my notes just say "MXV4" so I'm guessing Energy--and those were replaced after 30k. The set of Primacy MXV4's were put on for free by the dealer--"buy here, 2yr/24k free service and first set of tires free!" or somesuch--and now after 28k they are 4/32's on outer edge and centers, while inner edge are 5/32's. All four tires measure the same; rotations every 5k.

Bum alignment? Perhaps. Will have one done.

I'd blame the batch on short-tread OEM tires (bought from the dealer, so perhaps they are short on tread?) -- but the wife said they were very bad in snow--and that the prior ones were just fine. Which is weird, as Energy's rated worse in snow on Tirerack, while everyone and their aunt likes Primacy's.

I've driven it in snow, and it was a bit sketchy with pretty new Primacy's. It would seemingly dart sideways--not pull, I mean literally the front end would slide to the right. I don't think traction control reacts fast enough.

BTW she gets 32mpg on a bad tank, and more like mid-30's. So I don't think she is canyon-carving with it; 7 of the 8 brake pads were in great shape at 55k (one wore out on the rear when it froze to the caliper) so it's not hard braking either.

We do have a number of turns in our roads up here (contrary to what Top Gear might think of America) but I didn't think that many...

Last edited:
The OEM tires were Energy MXV4 S8. Similar to, but not the same as, the Primacy MXV4. It sounds like you have an alignment situation that is chewing tires.

I'm wondering that, the alignment that is. When the OEM's came off though the dealer said that was about normal; they recommended to go with the Primacy as they reportedly lasted longer. I might have the dealer do the alignment but plan to get the before and after numbers.

I did read in an old thread here where it was rumored that OEM's get "shaved" tires so as to hit EPA targets, so I do wonder if I got bit by that. I should go pull some of the service records and see what tire depth was recorded at the various visits.

One more reason to start recording more numbers in the vehicle log! Had I periodically measured each tire as I had gone along and written it down... Hindsight!

I've had excellent luck with the Pirelli P Zero Nero All-Season as well as the Cooper Zeon RS3-A- I've run both on the MS3(as a "winter" tire) as well as the X3(year round).
And both tires have a "W" speed rating, so you'll have a bit of a safety margin...

Are load rating and speed rating combined in the US?

It is normal for winter tyres to be a lower speed rating than the usual ones in the UK and I suspect Europe.

Don't think they do winters in a high enough speed rating for my Jag anyway, though they only do a couple in the sizes I need so it is a moot point in the jag

I can see a vehicle roll more with incorrect load rating, but speed rating?

Can't see that.

But legalisties may be different in the UK as far as speed rating goes, as long as your tyres are rated high enough for the use the vehicle is put to then there is no issue.

What is V rated? Is 149mph. Who goes that fast on winter roads?

T rating is 118mph, still more than enough.

It is true that the lower speed rated tyres do tend to have lower load capabilities but surely if the load is correct there will be no issue with extra body roll as the sidewalks are similarly rated.

I have read that lawyers in the US can jump on tiny things to avoid paying out, so it is likely best to be completely in line with manufacturers specs.

Originally Posted By: supton
I did read in an old thread here where it was rumored that OEM's get "shaved" tires so as to hit EPA targets, so I do wonder if I got bit by that. I should go pull some of the service records and see what tire depth was recorded at the various visits.

Some OEM tires start out with a shallower tread depth, but that isn't the case here. Both the Energy MXV4 S8 and the Primacy MXV4 in your size begin with 10/32" of tread, which is standard for that line and standard for passenger car all season tires. The rubber compounds are often different in OEM tires, though. However, I don't think the Primacy MXV4 is an OEM tire in the 94/95V service description. You did get V-rated Primacy MXV4s, right?

The H-rated ones in your size were OEM on some models of the Nissan Altima.

Originally Posted By: bigjl

Load index and speed rating are typically combined to a service description, but both pieces of information remain. For example, the tires on our Honda are 225/65R17 102T. "102T" is the service description. "102" is the load index and "T" is the speed rating.

Originally Posted By: Hokiefyd
Originally Posted By: supton

Some OEM tires start out with a shallower tread depth, but that isn't the case here. Both the Energy MXV4 S8 and the Primacy MXV4 in your size begin with 10/32" of tread, which is standard for that line and standard for passenger car all season tires. The rubber compounds are often different in OEM tires, though. However, I don't think the Primacy MXV4 is an OEM tire in the 94/95V service description. You did get V-rated Primacy MXV4s, right?

The H-rated ones in your size were OEM on some models of the Nissan Altima.

We have a winner...
frown.gif

I looked this morning, and the tires on the car are H rated.

I have to admit, when I drive the car I do tend to cruise at 80 for hours at a time, albeit in generally cold(er) time (evenings and nights, or winter). Wife however generally sets cruise at 70-72 or is doing much less.

Originally Posted By: MCompact
I've had excellent luck with the Pirelli P Zero Nero All-Season as well as the Cooper Zeon RS3-A- I've run both on the MS3(as a "winter" tire) as well as the X3(year round).
And both tires have a "W" speed rating, so you'll have a bit of a safety margin...

Almost freaked out for a while. I thought you meant the P Zero Nero M+S, which I got around 2005. I took them in the snow for the first time and was promptly wondering what they were thinking calling it an all-season. It was actually quite good in the wet and dry though.

Got a chance to look again. Primacy in V is 620 wear rating, while H is 500. The Energy's were 440 rated, and went 31,279miles and were replaced with less than 4/32's; the H rated Primacy's have 28,333miles and are at 4-5/32's. Sounds like the V rated ones would only last 35k?

Oh: V has 11/32's and H has 9/32's. The V is 95V while H is 94H. Does treadwear take into account initial starting depth, or does it go just from wear rate?

Last edited:
Last edited:
Never had an alignment, never had a reason to do so. My Jetta would go 3 years between alignments; only in the last couple of years has it had an issue with feathering (and that is from an unadjustable rear axle that has decided to toe-in). While I drive lots I'm not used to "needing" alignments.

I plan on getting an alignment, and making sure that I get a readout, but I'm not sure at the moment if I should expect anything or not. I'm on the fence as to where I'll have it done, I do have a coupon for a couple bucks off at the Toyota dealer; we'll see how satisfied I am after I have the Tundra checked next week.

Last edited:
If I were you I would strongly consider GY Assurance ComforTred Touring. It comes in V-speed rating, with a 70K treadlife warranty and gets good-to-excellent reviews, including winter traction. My sister runs them on her Mazda 5 mom-mobile, and approves. There is also an $80 rebate on them now. It's enough cheaper than the Michelins to notice.

In re the Jetta: The 2000-early '05 generation eats tires. I think we discussed this once in another thread. Either the alignment specs, suspension, Teutonic ingenuity: whatever. A friend of mine got 40K miles on Pirelli P4s (85K treadlife warranty) on her Jetta V6---and that was almost double the life she got from any other tire.

As for the V-speed rating requirement for a normal-trim Camry (or Sonata of the era, etc.).....go figure. Mystery to me.

Good luck.

Hmm, thanks for the tip, will add that tire to the list too.

Originally Posted By: Hokiefyd
Originally Posted By: bigjl

Load index and speed rating are typically combined to a service description, but both pieces of information remain. For example, the tires on our Honda are 225/65R17 102T. "102T" is the service description. "102" is the load index and "T" is the speed rating.

So the same system as the UK

My wife's '11 Camry Hybrid has 31,884 miles on a set of V rated Primacy MXV4s. They were installed just under two years ago.

They've never been rotated or balanced. I just measured the tread depth,the fronts have 8/32 and the rears have 9/32. So technically they have 6 and 7/32 remaining until they're at the wear bars.

As aggressively as my wife drives,I'm very happy with the traction and tread wear we've received with the Primacys.

Try a set of the Bridgestone Turanza Serenity Plus tires. They are supposed to be a newer competitor to the Primacy MXV4, and are receiving very strong reviews from a variety of sources. Costco currently has $70 off on them.

I like Michelin but think the replacement cost is hard to justify, particularly when you have something like the Bridgestone mentioned above getting very solid reviews for less money.

Surveys do look good on the Turanza; will look into that then.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back