Looking for ATF reccomendations for 700R4

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm just about to put my 4th transmission back into my truck (a 1940 Chevrolet) Trans was initially out of an 84 chev 3/4 ton diesel, but has is fresh, just back from the transmission shop with a fair bit of performance type additions. It is a 700R4, and will be driven hard (mostly street use, with occasional 1/4 mile drag race) behind a 427ci Big block chev. Looking for recommendations for what oil to use in the 700R4. Hoping to get a lot more life out of this trans than the last go around (3000 miles)...

Thanks!

Matt

What does the builder recommend? For drag use, I would stay away from highly friction modified fluids, which most current spec ATFs are these days. I would be looking at a DexIII or synthetic version such as Amsoil Torque-drive or another TES-295 spec fluid. For heavy use and extended service intervals, I would add an aux cooler and inline filter. For shorter change intervals, a standard, non-syn DexIII would suffice, but I personally would supplement it with Lubegard red. I have had very good success with Lubegard products.

I picked up the trans a few hours after the builder had left for the day, so did not get a chance to ask, and won't until next week. (I'm booked to see him again on tues).

It does have an external cooler, inline filter and trans temp gauge.

Went through the internals with the builder when he pulled it apart, and was not happy, lots wrong with the last build (different shop). This builder is picky about his parts and has a great rep...

Thanks for the link, & recommendations...

Cause of previous failures?

Any full synthetic dexron iii or 6. Mobil1 is usually easy to find. Redline D4 or D6, Amsoil ATF/ATL(or OE either), RoyalPurple, Neo, Torco, Amalie, Schaeffers, PetroCan, ...are some choices.

What are the temps? Is there a thermostat for the cooler?
What filter?

You need an Allison or 4L80 +!

Builders are fluid clueless.

What are the build mods or upgrades?

I ran a Dodge Caravan, and Taurus to 85K, and 80K miles in recent times. The fluid/pan and filter looked fantastic. I did run Magnifine filters with the Amsoil. They were spotless. I threw the Amsoil into the Caravan trans that had just been rebuilt by the Transmission exchange in Portland, OR. So it broke in and ran the full 85K on the same Amsoil trans fluid.

Higher end fluids are pretty expensive up front.
The savings come on the back end........ With 1/4 mile runs included I would not skimp. With how long transmissions and axles run on their fluids, it is a no brainer to not worry about how much the fluid cost.

Last edited:
Last failure I attribute to a poor build. (2-3 flare) had massive clearances, a broken tap in the case, scoring in the valve body, spacers where springs should be, wear in the pump, internal leaking... (amongst many other things)

Trans before that was a sheared output shaft, I didn't look at the 1st one (just a used th-350)I've got a bit of a leadfoot, as far as dragstrip stuff goes, I've only managed to get out to the track maybe 4 or 5 times in the last 14 years (and about 4 passes each night)

Temps have always been low (I think about 160 when warmed up) no thermostat. Don't know what p/n the filter was (have not replaced yet) just a cad-plated steel inline that was supplied with the bad build.

The manager of the shop that rebuilt the trans (not the builder) did just respond to my email about oil recommendation with: "Dexton 3 or 6 is a bit more synthetic, Or the fancy synthetics if you want to spend the cash?"

I'll have to get back re: mods / upgrades, I don't remember all the specifics...

And thought hard on the 4L80 / 4L90. Unfortunately no extra cash for a controller, tunnel mods, driveshaft & unforeseen... Also thought on the 6L80E (found one for 1500$ that has 15K on it) but same conclusion...

For a good HD tranny why not find a later year TH400 or one from the "yard" and rebuild it?

I have rebuilt 3 700R4's for Suburban racing and I can tell you they are not racing trannies. The last tranny I put in was a TH400 and it never failed.

Amsoil or Redline type F (racing type F's) would be the better choices for the strip.

Last edited:
Just nice to have the OD. The drag racing is occasional, not primary use. I do a little cross country with it as well...

Get that possibly restricted clogged old reused inline filter out of there. Replace with a Magnefine or remotely mounted oil filter.

It's already gone, just not replaced yet. Not sure if there will be a Magnefine avail locally, but I didn't put this much cash in it again to reuse filters...

Looks like most of what's available here are Magnefine knock offs from china. I can get an AC Delco TF100M, but I can't find the spec's for it (other than inlet / outlet are 5/16") alternatively I could possibly dig up a remote mount and get a filter... anybody know details on Delco's TF100M?

Picked up some Mobil Super Dexron-VI, as far as the ATF went.

Also found another option (locally) to the delco filer it's a transmission specific spin on filter, Fram P9264 (which I think is also a WIX 57701) only problem with it is that I can't seem to find a remote mount for it (threads 3/4-20, it's 3" wide and tall, PRV 9-12 and it's a 15 micron filter)

You could get a Wix 58964- it's a cross to the Magnefine filter.

On transmission oil choice- I suppose it depends on oil temp. If temps are in check, and you don't have a loose, non lockup converter or trans brake, then your choice of Dex/Merc variants will do fine. Fancier oils like Mobil synthetics, the Allison approved TES-295, the Dex 6 oils will take the heat better and last longer. The TES-295 oils are pretty darned expensive, but a VERY high quality oil. After reading some of it's test criteria/intended uses, I'd say it's god awful overkill for pretty much everything roaming the streets at typical short drain intervals.

Originally Posted By: 40chevy
Picked up some Mobil Super Dexron-VI, as far as the ATF went.

Also found another option (locally) to the delco filer it's a transmission specific spin on filter, Fram P9264 (which I think is also a WIX 57701) only problem with it is that I can't seem to find a remote mount for it (threads 3/4-20, it's 3" wide and tall, PRV 9-12 and it's a 15 micron filter)

I see you replied while I was typing- Since you have a spin on style filter (a good option as well), Wix offers a base mount for them. I found 2 different numbers- the difference is mount/hose configuration.

Try Wix 24762 or 24764.

edit: Here are some links for easier viewing. They are from the NAPA site, but it's still the exact same product

Last edited:
Thanks for the links, those are the right size, unfortunately wrong thread pitch (as far as the FRAM P9264 / WIX 57701 is concerned) After looking around, I don't think anyone makes one.

On the WIX 58964, from what I can tell, it's a rebranded FILTRAN (and actually, the AC Delco TF100M is a rebranded FILTRAN, I just opened the box.)

As far as I can tell, the only benefit to the FILTRAN vs the Fram is the magnet, otherwise, it doesn't have near the surface area, bypass valve is quite low pressure (4.8 psi vs 9 psi) Plastic case vs metal canister and 25 micron vs 15 micron.

I was able to locate the stuff I need to make a remote mount for the fram (chunk of billet, 3/4-20 x 1/4 npt fitting, and a couple taps) so I think I will go that route (unless I'm missing something?)

Last edited:
Sorry- I missed the thread pitch. I saw the 3/4 and assumed 16 threads per inch.

What about returning your current filter and using a 51394? I'm kind of guessing on the filter, bad on the thread size/pitch because the base that I linked to doesn't give gasket size. Shouldn't be too hard to match up though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back