looking for a weed eater without automatic string feed

Status
Not open for further replies.
you know, old style bump feed. all the automatic feeds seem to give trouble, looking for a corded one but mayhave to get a battery one.
what are your recent experiences please?

You should be able to get a different style head with just about any name brand unit on the market.

I have a Stihl FS70 with the bump style head and it's not as troublesome as I imagined. I imagine the electric models use a similar design.

I just bought a DeWalt 20v , reason being I have 8 20v batteries of varying amp hours . I can't believe how long the batteries last even the smaller ones . I can't be happier with it . Will never go back to a gas string trimmer .

Originally Posted by Kjmack
I just bought a DeWalt 20v , reason being I have 8 20v batteries of varying amp hours . I can't believe how long the batteries last even the smaller ones . I can't be happier with it . Will never go back to a gas string trimmer .

Same experience. And yes it has a bump feed. Mine got jammed once in the two seasons I owned it. I really like the Dewalt yellow and black line. Very tough compared with cheap translucent line. I do all the normal trimming on a quarter acre and would probably have enough juice in my 5 amp hr battery to power a Dewalt Margarita blender ( if they come up with one).
smile.gif

Last edited:
I got fed up with the bump feed not working so took it off and drilled a hole through the shaft to insert a cut length of line through which is then secured with a nut and washer. It's labour intensive but predictable.

I too gave up on auto feeders, sooner or later they go bad. I have this one. It takes fixed cords, 18" long. Very easy to replace when the ends wear down -takes just a few moments. It takes very heavy cord that last a long time and can cut heavy brush. I buy rolls and cut the 18" segments with clippers. Complete edging on my property with gardens in front and back takes 30 minutes. I usually get it done using just 2, sometimes 3 strings.

https://www.cubcadet.com/equipment/...edge-trimmers/bc-280-27cc-2-cycle-engine

Tractor supply sells these.

Ray

I like the Ryobi battery powered bump feed I just recently purchased at Home Depot.

I got one of these when I got the thoroughs with my bump feed.

Cut a heap of lengths and stuff them in your pocket....

https://www.ebay.com.au/p/SHAKESPEARE-Ugly-Head-Whipper-Sniper-Line-Trimmer-Replacement-Head/1848190114?iid=222696170885&chn=ps&norover=1&mkevt=1&mkrid=705-139619-5960-0&mkcid=2&itemid=222696170885&targetid=467412179420&device=c&adtype=pla&googleloc=9071679&poi=&campaignid=1793098949&adgroupid=74958853648&rlsatarget=aud-692203741102:pla-467412179420&abcId=1139226&merchantid=115417720&gclid=Cj0KCQjwpPHoBRC3ARIsALfx-_KQchcFtIr14euIYctOfJv58-Alpz3gLoY0isQq-eSZAZMzOBUqv0AaAobzEALw_wcB

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back