Looking For a Good VoIP Phone

I think I ran ethernet on my LG TV 5 years or more ago, and wasn't pleased with the reception.
Then that TV quit working and I wouldn't buy another LG TV.

My TV says the WiFi signal is "excellent."

I use Ooma, but was unable to port my phone number. My phone company was one of those small town holdouts that never really integrated into Ma Bell.

I was able to port the number to a tracfone, which I then call-forward to the Ooma. Pay $50 extra a year for this. Wife wants our "classic" number to still work, so that's what I do. Still come out ahead.

Just came to my attention that "my" tracfone does VOIP, so I might dump ooma and get the same phone for my other line, aka the former land-line.

VOIP over wifi uses a much smaller amount of RF, since you're just reaching your own router, not some cell tower two miles away.

I got a phillips smart tv, what a POS. Got a walmart imitation-Chromecast dongle to stream with as its interface glitches less. The Phillips had ethernet, but, it too was glitchy. The chromecast doesn't. An ideal scenario would be to get a 2nd wireless access point on a different wifi channel to service just the TV, while having my regular one do all the other devices. But at this time, we don't watch much tv at all...

The secret with cable companies is to NEVER CHANGE YOUR PLAN. When you do that, they figure you've got money, and won't let you backtrack to your old plan. They used to be regulated, 30 years ago, and would publish a "rate card" that was universal for your town. Now, it seems, anything goes. You have to give them your address for a price quote.

That "streaming essentials" doesn't look like much. It's only some of the most basic of the basic cable channels-- no local stations, sports, or news.

If your smart TV has an Ethernet jack, you can connect it to your router by Ethernet and turn the wifi off.
It really isn't that much. They took away my 3 local channels again. They were not meant to go with streaming essentials.
And I removed my outdoor antenna and gave all the stuff away so that's no longer an option.
I guess I'll be OK with PBS News Hour and others news stations on Pluto Network.
I'm not going to pay $50 a month + $22 tax and surcharges so I can watch the evening news on ABC.

I found out that I can stream the CBS Evening News every day the morning after.
I can also stream NBC News but it takes longer to load for some reason so I watch the news with Nora O'Donnell..

Back