Charter / Spectrum Conned Me Into Coming Back

Most cable companies have an unadvertised bare-bones Internet plan for less than $20 but it's slow.

Some will sell it to anyone, others stipulate low income and/or must have school age children, etc.
They have a 50 Mbps package that's about $23 a month.
50 Mbps doesn't seem like it would be very slow and I may be OK with it.
My Dell PC only has the 10/100 ethernet card so there is no point in me getting anything over 100 Mbps.

Now that I have their phone, I need their modem to plug the phone into.

There is much cheaper VOIP from third parties. Also then you don't need the cable company modem.

Click bait title? You're too funny.

I was lied to, plain and simple, aka conned, not just by the rep who rang my doorbell, but also by the rep on the phone who told me I was eligible for 1 year of free phone service. The end results are immaterial. They lied to me in order to get me back.
Just when you thought you were out.........they pulllleedddddd you BACK INNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNN

There is much cheaper VOIP from third parties. Also then you don't need the cable company modem.
I was on BasicTalk for about 6 years. They started out at 9.99 a month, then kept adding surcharges and other fees. up to $17.60 a month.
Charter LL phone is 12.99 a month, with about 50c in fees = $13.49, but you need to plug it into Charter modem.
I don't dislike Charter but thought I should at least mention how crooked their rep was to tell me I'd get free service when what I got was actually discounted service. If he'd told me that from the get-go I wouldn't have made this post. Charter has lowered their price for basic, landline phones. It has free unlimited calls to the USA, Canada, and Mexico.

You can get a cheap cell phone with some data for that price.

I was on BasicTalk for about 6 years. They started out at 9.99 a month, then kept adding surcharges and other fees. up to $17.60 a month.
Charter LL phone is 12.99 a month, with about 50c in fees = $13.49, but you need to plug it into Charter modem.
I don't dislike Charter but thought I should at least mention how crooked their rep was to tell me I'd get free service when what I got was actually discounted service. If he'd told me that from the get-go I wouldn't have made this post. Charter has lowered their price for basic, landline phones. It has free unlimited calls to the USA, Canada, and Mexico.
You can get free calling to the US and Canada by using a device such as an Obihai with Google Voice. There is no 911 nor caller ID with it, but for about $2/month you can go through a third-party provider for that. Calls to other countries are quite cheap.

This is what we did with our old landline number, rather than just let it disappear I ported it to GV ($10 then, $20 currently) and now it's our emergency backup "hotline" for my daughters and wife. You can add the GV app to your mobile if you wish and use the number from there as well.

Be glad that Mediacom and Centurylink are not your only two options.
We have CenturyLink here and I tried it for a short while several years ago.
I had all kinds of trouble with it and couldn't wait to get back on Charter BB.

Back