Looking for a good hot weather oil

Status
Not open for further replies.
Joe02151,

you will be very pleased with the Maxima. It will run very smoothly throughout the complete OCI, just my experience.

you can't go wrong with mobil 15w50 FS I have used it and it is great.

R1 2017 is a very different beast to 2006. Does you 2006 have slipper clutch, this would affect the gearchange feel.
Also there's so much electronics on the 2017 and settings, maybe you need to change a setting??

Amsoil has 15W-50 synthetic motorcycle oil that meets JASO MA/MA2 for Ducati and other metric bikes. In the past I've run M1 V-Twin 20W-50, Rotella T6 5W-40, as well as Castrol 10W-50. The Castrol 10W-50 is a good balance and allows my wet clutches to grip properly during WOT shifts. The Rotella T6 claimed to meet JASO MA/MA2, but at WOT the clutches would slip trying to grip after each ship. The M1 V-Twin worked fine, but just felt harder to start and was noticeably thicker. I bought some of the Amsoil 15W-50 and plan to run it along with one of their EaM138 oil filter. Their EaM line of oil filters are the highest quality with a 25k? service interval instead of 15k.

Originally Posted by metroplex
Amsoil has 15W-50 synthetic motorcycle oil that meets JASO MA/MA2 for Ducati and other metric bikes. In the past I've run M1 V-Twin 20W-50, Rotella T6 5W-40, as well as Castrol 10W-50. The Castrol 10W-50 is a good balance and allows my wet clutches to grip properly during WOT shifts. The Rotella T6 claimed to meet JASO MA/MA2, but at WOT the clutches would slip trying to grip after each ship. The M1 V-Twin worked fine, but just felt harder to start and was noticeably thicker. I bought some of the Amsoil 15W-50 and plan to run it along with one of their EaM138 oil filter. Their EaM line of oil filters are the highest quality with a 25k? service interval instead of 15k.

I couldn't find the Amsoil product on the JASO filing list online, nor could I find it on the API list (although it says it is API SM).

I started this thread with 11k miles on the bike, now it's at 34k miles. I've settled on redline 4quarts of 10w40 and .75 quarts of redline 20w50, it shifts great for 2500 mile oci, Maxima 15w50 feels great too.

Very hot temps here in Southern California, been using "Castrol Power1 4T 10W-50" full synthetic motorcycle oil, in my bike...2018 Ninja 400...it has a slipper clutch as well...this stuff works really well...you can find it at Wally World for around $10-11qt or on Amazon for $7-8qt...

I think we all tend to over analyze these things. In a liquid cooled bike like that I would run 10w-40, almost any brand, syn or syn blend and be happy.
cool.gif

The one thing we have control over is the viscosity of our oil... to understand the difference look at the tubes...

Oil drag is real so choosing a 40 grade over a 50 grade is smarter during hot weather because it will:

1)increase 1 to 2 HP at the rear wheel
2)quicken the throttle response coming out of the corners...
3)decrease over all operating temps...
4)increase the oil flow at the critical bearings...

[Linked Image]

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back