Long term report on spark plugs

I used NGK BPR 5EY plugs on my (then new) '81 Celica. They were the original plugs and I replaced like for like. That Celica ran great and the plugs came out looking great too.

But maybe times have changed.

I don't buy anything from China either, unless I have no other choice. That's just me.

Removeable tips can be tightened with a pliers and a socket.

My 2¢
True enough. The ones that I pulled out were good and tight when I installed them. When I pulled them, one was loose. This was what was causing the misfire. This is the mower and small engine section of the forum. Mowers take a heck of beating that over the road vehicles don’t. So, the terminal nuts can become loose. To avoid this, it’s best to buy plugs with fixed terminal ends for mowers.

True enough. The ones that I pulled out were good and tight when I installed them. When I pulled them, one was loose. This was what was causing the misfire. This is the mower and small engine section of the forum. Mowers take a heck of beating that over the road vehicles don’t. So, the terminal nuts can become loose. To avoid this, it’s best to buy plugs with fixed terminal ends for mowers.
I could have pinched the terminal nut before installation. I’ve never had this happen before. Again, I’ll avoid this problem by purchasing plugs with fixed terminal ends.

I'm still using the original 15yr old NGK plug on my mower (GC160). I bought a NGK replacement 5 years ago, but the mower runs so good I haven't put it in yet. I sharpen the blade and change the oil. That's pretty much it for 15 years.

Back