Long Summer Trip Advice for GM 1.5L GDI Turbo: Premium Fuel if running @ GVWR ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I was insinuating, but no offense is intended. I posted in all-CAPS, because you still haven't answered one key question: does your owners manual state that anything above 87 is recommended for any reason???

My turbo Subie ALLOWS 87, but recommends premium. Which would you call the spec?

Just an aside, it's funny my Jetta 1.4 turbo "specs" 87 octane in the manual and the fuel door sticker but at the Engine Specification page, it states that the rated Horsepower numbers were achieved on 93 octane Premium fuel and that peak HP will be less when running Regular 87 octane fuel.

Originally Posted by LoneRanger
My wife, her mother, and her two sisters will be taking the new GMC out east towards end of July, about a 12 hour drive each way. Car will be close to gross weight. My question is, although the engine is spec'd for regular unleaded 87, would it be a good idea to probably ask her to use 93 premium instead for the entire trip? I'm considering this in light of the conditions which will be expected to be hot and the car loaded near gross weight.

Main consideration is minimization of the ever present possibility of LSPI on these small gasoline direct injection turbo engines. Seems wise to feed it premium for a long heavy haul in the heat. The cruise on the interstate not being the risk factor, but instead the low rpm high boost condition that would arise when, say, departing rest stops, which will be a frequent occurrence given the occupant demographic. Car parked just long enough at the bathroom stop to bloom excess engine heat, then start-up and getting back on the highway may represent an increase in the potential for low rpm high boost. It would be better to leave the car idling (take turns going to pee) so the cooling system can control heat, but that won't be happening.

Over thinking it? Yes. But this is BITOG. It's what we do.

If you can afford to run Premium fuel on that trip, your engine will thank you later. It may even thank you 300 miles into the trip. My GMs run better on 93 Top-Tier.

Originally Posted by ARCOgraphite
Just an aside, it's funny my Jetta 1.4 turbo "specs" 87 octane in the manual and the fuel door sticker but at the Engine Specification page, it states that the rated Horsepower numbers were achieved on 93 octane Premium fuel and that peak HP will be less when running Regular 87 octane fuel.

I rented out a VW Beetle(yes I know) with the 2.0TSI and the fuel door said 87AKI, while I was under the impression VW wanted premium.

I returned it back to Hertz with a 1/2 tank of Arco 87, I got the car with a 1/3 tank.

If it requires 87 run 87. No benefit from running higher octane when not needed. Our 18 CRV with the 1.5LT got 37-40 mpgs on our trip using top tier 87.

a long highway drive is where premium won't do anything, as the engine is less stressed. Unless you're pulling a trailer, adding more weight does very little to engine load except on climbs. If it runs well on regular, I probably wouldn't bother.

If you are a 'gear head' totally in-tune with the way the engine runs, you would probably notice it runs better on premium, GM turbo's produce a bit more power on premium.

You wife and her mom and sisters? They aren't going to notice. They are driving to get somewhere, not 'engaged' in the drive.

Don't stress your wife with instructions on what gas to run...it will be fine.

I'm NOT trying to be sexist with these comments, I'm just being truthful.

Overthinking it. Used to run my BMW to Chicago and back several times a month (900 round trip) on a first generation DI sequential turbo engine. Always used 87 when the engine wants 91. 91 was waaaay too much and I figured it was risky since no one seemed to be buying it. I put on about 80,000 miles over several years of those trips, no issues.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back