Long-Distance Radio?

Mine growing up was your units great grandpa:
1611844731544.png

During nighttime hours, AM signals can travel hundreds of miles by reflection from the ionosphere, a phenomenon called "skywave" propagation.
In the Army, we had Frequency Tables for AM as our Radio Teletype equipment used AM. Daytime and nighttime were two different games.

I'm in Northern NJ, and early this morning at 5 I dialed through the AM band just to check out whatever far-off stations were being received at that particular moment. Was able to listen to stations from Hamilton, Ontario, Rochester, NY and Charlotte, NC - with Charlotte being furthest away. Oddly enough, the content on all three stations was nearly identical - just news, weather and commercials - indistinguishable other than the Canadian station using celsius and referring to their currency as the Looney.

The only things I listen to on SW is 11am-3pm Infowars on 12.160 and 7pm Friday nights on WBCQ 7.490, Allan Weiner World Wide.

Used to use the older tube type radios when I was a kid for SW and AM DX work -- now, I just keep a bunch of little Sangeans, Grundigs and Tecsuns scattered around the house. Almost as good, and way cheaper!
radio9.jpg
radio10.jpg
radio11.jpg
radio12.jpg

I used to love falling asleep listening to shortwave every night. I’ve been wanting to find another shortwave radio.
Good quality Tecsun and Radiwow digital portables will accept external antennas for home use and fit in your pocket when it's time to hit the road. The Radiwow R-108 and Tecsun PL-310 and PL-380 are radios I own and use regularly with good results. If you want something a bit larger, my Tecsun PL-398BT (below) is even better performing. Got all of these for around $50 each new.
fffb479a-9d42-4e4b-8116-df207303f245_1.14528de9e3bfdf6cf3b0d40fe37ce7ec.jpeg

Back