LoL, ask me how much O'Reilly brand alternators suck. Go ahead - AMA!

Actually, you have it backwards. BorgWarner finalized the acquisition of Remy on November 10, 2015 (https://www.borgwarner.com/newsroom...r-completes-acquisition-of-remy-international).

Then BBB Industries acquired Remy from BorgWarner as announced on January 28, 2019 in aftermarketnews.com (https://www.aftermarketnews.com/bbb...ts-north-american-rotating-electric-business/).

Lastly, BBB Industries was acquired by Clearlake Capital Group, L.P., and other investors as announced on May 19, 2022 by prnnewswire.com (https://www.prnewswire.com/news-rel...ainable-manufacturing-platform-301551470.html).

Oh how I long for the days when companies were owned by stockholders, run by people who understood the values of quality parts, and employed people who knew what they were doing and took pride in their work. Today, we have venture capitalists trying to squeeze every last penny out of company and they could care less about the quality of the products that are made/sold by their brands.
I completely agree with you! It's getting to the point that if you hear the company was bought out by some "Private Equity/Capital group" you would automatically not even think of buying their products. All they care about is making enough $$$ to stuff their pockets and run. And then they have the arrogance to say "don't buy Chinese made goods".. ya ok, I'd rather some already wealthy corporate raider get more wealthy while I'm stuck with a dead part! Sorry.. that's not logical at all. I have bought no-name Chinese made parts on ebay, power steering pump is one of them, working well! The "american-made" ones were really just old parts painted in mexico, nothing repaired. for 4x the price!

It's too bad that Warren Buffet (or someone similar) does not invest in a company or companies that say remanufactures alternators and starters, insists that they be remanufactured to a higher quality than they are being remanufactured to today. Insist that the components that are to be replaced be replaced with superior quality parts even if they cost a nickel a unit more. Pay the line workers a fair wage and then offer a decent warranty for the remanufactured items and charge a fair price so that the company survives and thrives. Oh yeah, and make darn sure that those with MBAs are kept away from all of the decision making processes so as not to cheapen anything. No need to try and make every bearing drip blood! Of course the company would need to operate exclusively in the United States.

It's too bad that Warren Buffet (or someone similar) does not invest in a company or companies that say remanufactures alternators and starters, insists that they be remanufactured to a higher quality than they are being remanufactured to today.
Geico(though, it’s cut-rate insurance), Fruit of the Loom, Duracell, Benjamin Moore and Lubrizol are bringing in the revenue for Berkshire Hathaway. Carl Icahn is running the show at Driv(Champion, Fel-Pro, Wagner/Ferodo/Jurid, Moog, Walker) and Moog ain’t what they used to be - I’ll install Moog any day of the week over Mevotech though. And now there’s First Brands(Fram/Champion Labs, Carter, Trico, Centric and I believe Raybestos as well).

Geico(though, it’s cut-rate insurance), Fruit of the Loom, Duracell, Benjamin Moore and Lubrizol are bringing in the revenue for Berkshire Hathaway. Carl Icahn is running the show at Driv(Champion, Fel-Pro, Wagner/Ferodo/Jurid, Moog, Walker) and Moog ain’t what they used to be - I’ll install Moog any day of the week over Mevotech though. And now there’s First Brands(Fram/Champion Labs, Carter, Trico, Centric and I believe Raybestos as well).
Now I know why Walker's quality was insanely bad in the last couple years (used to be great). The welds were so bad the flange didn't even seal on the b-pipe/mid-pipe and muffler for the Civic. Luckily I got a replacement (older stock) that was decent but I've already moved on from that bad quality. Oh it wasn't just one that was bad either went through a couple. and then Trico was making some awesome wiper blades that worked for the Civic then they changed the frame design causing streaking (lack of pressure). Went back to Honda and found their price was almost the same ($0.80 difference) as aftermarket! No streaking..

Thanks @nthach for posting this! I'll know who to stay away from.
It's too bad that Warren Buffet (or someone similar) does not invest in a company or companies that say remanufactures alternators and starters, insists that they be remanufactured to a higher quality than they are being remanufactured to today. Insist that the components that are to be replaced be replaced with superior quality parts even if they cost a nickel a unit more. Pay the line workers a fair wage and then offer a decent warranty for the remanufactured items and charge a fair price so that the company survives and thrives. Oh yeah, and make darn sure that those with MBAs are kept away from all of the decision making processes so as not to cheapen anything. No need to try and make every bearing drip blood! Of course the company would need to operate exclusively in the United States.

Hey @chemman the problem with your post is that it's 100% common sense and logical! Those businesses didn't learn common sense.. lol. I completely agree that running a business requires profit margins to stay in business but you don't have to cheapen it up to such a point that the product doesn't even work properly. Great post! (y) This should be the rules for all businesses!

I was going to say Exide is the same boat, their battery quality took a huge dive when a VC firm took over; that’s why Interstate started to go back to Clarios for product.

Heck, go back further, when GM spun off Delco Remy; a Gordon Gecko type split off everything the weirdest way; Johnson Controls ended up with the plant infrastructure if I remember right, and the “product” I think ended up with Delphi except the aftermarket products.

I’ve not had good luck with any parts stores alternators not just one particular brand but all of them. Been there and done that. Me and my dad found a rebuilder locally. What sucks is when at work a customer won’t wait for a genuine alternator and you put a parts store one on and it gets towed back in because it went bad again. The agony of having to do it over again sucks plus the feeling you get when you see the vehicle you worked on coming back on a tow truck. I replaced an alternator with one from Advance (because it was the only thing available for Lexus that Sunday) for my dads friends daughter and it failed same day. Now the guy doesn’t let me touch any of his vehicles because he is convinced I done something wrong. That was 3 years ago. Spent 7 hours of my time doing it and didn’t get a dime for it then get blamed it’s my fault it went bad. That’s why I don’t fool with auto parts store alternators anymore and get my personal ones rebuilt when they fail. It doesn’t matter what parts store I won’t use their alternators or starters unless it was an emergency.

I always had good luck with AutoZone (New) alternators, currently have a AutoZone reman in my truck though but they all have a lifetime warranty, so far no problems at all.

Any alternator that doesn't last at least 15 years and 200,000 miles is nothing more than an electrical form of GODLESS COMMUNISM!

Here me out...

Capitalism is supposed to be about offering the best product at a fair price.

These alternators are all about offering the worst product at a cheap price.

What financial system prospers from this behavior? GODLESS COMMUNISM!

Other than chocolate, vodka and Kalashnikovs, communist products have about as much real world success as I did with girls in junior high school. And let me tell you. I needed all three to land a babe back then.

Seriously though. If I ever wanted to keep a vehicle to Mileage Impossible levels, I would stock up on a OEM alternator at the junkyard once my car is around five to seven years old. Buy one factory alternator for around $100 to $150 and you'll always have the OEM equivalent for as long as you own it.

And to prove my point, here's an alternator for a 2018 Ford Ecosport with 42k miles. Cost just $40.

Last edited:
helped a freind put in a oriely one last week in a 95 maxima. he bought a new one though and it was not cheap. close to $275 for it. we will see how long it last

I've had good luck with the Duralast "Gold" or whatever their top-end line is called. Oe alternator on my parents '16 Traverse failed around 60k, put in one of the top tier AutoZone alternators and it's still working fine at 140k.

I needed an alternator for my Civic and almost bought their valucraft one, but luckily for me they were out of stock and bumped me up to the gold for no extra charge 😎 still no issues with that one either.

Our old parts manager used to work at O'Reilly and she said they constantly warrantied starters and alternators. The last p/s pump I bought there looked like the "rebuilder" didn't even knock the dirt off before spray painting it, boss told me just put it in and of course it whined like crazy 🙃

I just have to finally break down and post some deets about how much O'Reilly "ultima" brand alternators suck. I have bashed them for years but I want to go into details as to why. I just checked out my fourth one on warranty since 2015. I just have to giggle at this point. Fortunately, swapping the alternator in/out of this car is no big deal so instead of buying another brand or installing an expensive, non-junk voltage regulator, I let O'Reillys eat the $100 net cost to them every two years. The vehicle is a highly maintained 2002 Lexus ES300 I've owned and maintained a long time, though it has always been another family member's daily driver. Currently it is my older father's daily driver.

NOTE: there is a lesson here, not just me bloviating - test your alternator BEFORE doing an exhaustive fuse check to find a parasitic draw. More below.

Here's how long you can expect O'Reilly alternators to last. Note that I keep very detailed excel spreadsheets of any time I do maintenance on a car, so the details are accurate:

Here's the history of the alternator in the vehicle:
10/2001 - Original alternator installed, 0.0 miles, Kyushu plant in Miyata, Japan.
6/20/2015 - Total Mileage 239,900 - original alternator failed (bearings). O'Reilly "Optima" alternator installed. 239,900 miles/162 months life
2/1/2017 - Mileage 267,200 - voltage regulator failed, replaced under warranty - 27,300 miles/18 months life
9/29/2020 -Mileage 322,420 - voltage regulator failed, replaced under warranty - 55,200 miles/42 months life
9/2/2022 - Mileage 329,775 - voltage regulator failed, replaced under warranty - 7,350 miles/24 months life

Before you ask -the car has never had the stereo replaced, has no parasitic draw, and is well maintained and the electrical system thoroughly tested.

This time the local O'Reillys manager said they were tired of trying to pretend their alternator could work in this car and would refund my money in full and let me get a better brand next time. Looking forward to 2024!

As a note, voltage regulators fail for three reasons - 1) heat, 2) bad ground, 3) under-spec'd and too much draw. The car has no mods, no excessive draw (I've tested, and the grounds are good (inspected). The cheap Chinese voltage regulators in the Mexican rebuilds just can't take even moderate heat and normal draw - not a confusing diagnosis.

This is the car, recent pics, well maintained. Over the years I've done all required maintenance to keep it in top shape - rebuilt the suspension, restored/refinished the interior, etc. Great road car - decent power but the virutes are it is uber easy to drive, smooth, quiet, and visually very pleasing in the cockpit (not a great looker on the exterior - no pride there). Have a monster fun 2010 GS300 AWD also in the "fam" and while a ton more fun, not nearly as well built as "peak Lexus" like this car. It's a keeper as already demonstrated. But back on track - I can't think of a reason it would suddenly start eating alternators once switching from OE to O'Reillys brand other than the obvious.

View attachment 115309

I detailed the interior in 2021 and refinished the front seats and center armrest, but the steering wheels and the rest is still original at 330k miles. Peak Lexus, as they say. 1998-2003 is the generally accepted range.
View attachment 115310

This failure was particularly annoying, the diode failure still left it providing plenty of charging (actually too much now that I realize it) voltage. There was a massive parasitic draw and I tore out every fuse and relay looking for it - engine bay box as well as interior. No joy.

View attachment 115311

After that, I did what I should have done beforehand, which was look for A/C voltage across the battery terminals, indicating a failed voltage rectifier. D'oh:
View attachment 115312

Replaced the alternator and parasitic draw and A/C voltage gone.

O'Reillys is rapidly becoming my "white whale:"

Amen, Ahab.
Who would have thought any house brand anything from O'Reilly or Advanced Auto Parts or Auto Zone would be good?

Is alternator supposed to be this lousy? I have 2 cars at 270k and they are still original (Toyota and Acura). You guys made it sound like you should replace alt like a timing belt.

Is alternator supposed to be this lousy? I have 2 cars at 270k and they are still original (Toyota and Acura). You guys made it sound like you should replace alt like a timing belt.

Original alternators are like magic. After that, it's all downhill.

The Duralast Gold alternator in my fiancé's 94 Cavalier just had an issue after six months and 6,000 miles. It was only charging at around 12.15 volts and was setting the battery light on. Unfortunately, it's going to take a week to get the new one. These are brand new lifetime warranty alternators. I usually have decent luck with their Gold series.

All four of which are most likely the same thing in different color boxes :)
Definitely can't say that as a blanket statement. Just depends on the part. I can tell you for a fact I had 3 separate NC Miata AutoZone clutch masters go out on my personal vehicle and the one NAPA I put in afterwards survived many future track days. Shop I worked at would only ever buy OEM, NAPA, or Advance after many instances of shoddy parts from O'Reilly and AutoZone. Again, this is just what I do from personal experience with parts from the big 4 parts stores. Just my opinion.

Back