Lockheed T-33 Static Display

20220526_201511_HDR.jpg

20220526_201645_HDR.jpg

This old veteran has been on display here for decades - one website says since 1967, Canada's centennial year. If I recall correctly, it originally wore Golden Centennaire colours. It got pretty shabby over the years, and in 2018 was restored and painted in Red Knights colours.

Not to many benefits to growing up and living in Cincinnati, but having WPAFB museum a short drive up the road has got to be the best one. I was just there, and have been dozens and dozens of times, and still stand under the XB-70 in awe, every time.

I have to say the T-33 has always been my favorite plane though.

xb-70.jpg

I just took a deep dive into jet engines, its fascinating to go through the technology used to increase power and efficiency on these things.

At the end of the day, it all comes down to materials research.. We have the designs for advanced technologies, we just don't have the materials yet.

I just took a deep dive into jet engines, its fascinating to go through the technology used to increase power and efficiency on these things.

At the end of the day, it all comes down to materials research.. We have the designs for advanced technologies, we just don't have the materials yet.
Heard a story once that in the early days of jet engines just after WWII ended a team of Soviet engineers were allowed to tour a British jet engine factory.
They wore gummy sole shoes to pick up metal shavings so they could analyze them.
I think thats how it went, correct if wrong please.

Heard a story once that in the early days of jet engines just after WWII ended a team of Soviet engineers were allowed to tour a British jet engine factory.
They wore gummy sole shoes to pick up metal shavings so they could analyze them.
Well, I'm an engineering tech that works with exotic new materials including metals, ceramics, and proprietary compositions.. I absolutely believe that it was probably one of a hundred methods used to spy on a countries defense industry.

The CIA was very good too.
We needed tiatanium for the CIA program that produced the SR-71, and we had none domestically. We needed a lot of it and the soviet union had a large supply available. CIA made a series of shell companies that were very hard to trace back to anything even resembling the defense industry. Layer after layer of real companies that were covert suppliers to the us.

So the CIA program designed a surveillance plane to spy on the soviets, produced with titanium we purchased from, the soviet union.

Well, I'm an engineering tech that works with exotic new materials including metals, ceramics, and proprietary compositions.. I absolutely believe that it was probably one of a hundred methods used to spy on a countries defense industry.

The CIA was very good too.
We needed tiatanium for the CIA program that produced the SR-71, and we had none domestically. We needed a lot of it and the soviet union had a large supply available. CIA made a series of shell companies that were very hard to trace back to anything even resembling the defense industry. Layer after layer of real companies that were covert suppliers to the us.

So the CIA program designed a surveillance plane to spy on the soviets, produced with titanium we purchased from, the soviet union.
Now thats funny!

I've been scouring trying to find that incident anywhere in history and espionage history. The only thing I found was from the show "The Americans".

If that really did happen I would not be surprised one bit.

I would also not be surprised is the brits cleaned the shop and had the program rigged for them, using a fake material for them to steal.

Back