lock cylinder won't turn

Status
Not open for further replies.
Went to go to the store in the saturn and it won't turn the ignition. It's always worked fine never gave a warning or hint of issue. I tried jerking wheel the spare keys smacking the column but nothing ...... and I need the car tomorrow morning.

Try wiggling the steering wheel to take the pressure off the key cylinder.

Also, I've seen folks use the wrong key for the car and wonder why it wouldn't operate the ignition.

Spray LectraMotive in it to clean out the tumblers.Insert key numerous times.

I've sprayed it wiggled wheel everything I can think of and it won't turn

There's a little piece that comes down from the top looks like a spring in the center of this u shaped piece and it falls down and won't let the key in if I move it up with small screw driver I can get the key in but it still won't turn.

Brake light sensor?
The key won't turn if the brake lights don't light up when you hit the brakes to start the car.

I had one go bad in my 2002 Ford Taurus. I disassembled the steering column trying to figure it out.

I would try to find the OEM. The Auto Zone part I bought lasted 2 months before it went bad.
I went and bought a Motorcraft from Rock Auto, it's been around 2 years with no issues.

Is your car on the recall list? Maybe this will get you a better place in line for the repair. Good luck.

Oldtommy

All I have is the dodge truck and I can't afford that everyday. The other vehicles X wife took.

Originally Posted By: SuperDave456
Brake light sensor?
The key won't turn if the brake lights don't light up when you hit the brakes to start the car.

I had one go bad in my 2002 Ford Taurus. I disassembled the steering column trying to figure it out.

I would try to find the OEM. The Auto Zone part I bought lasted 2 months before it went bad.
I went and bought a Motorcraft from Rock Auto, it's been around 2 years with no issues.

Not trying to jack the thread,but when did they start using brake light interlocks on vehicles? In an emergency ,if your lights happen to be out just at the wrong time ,there's no way to start the car?

You reefed the key out before the park sensor mechanical cable engaged. If you could manage to get it in drive then park then turned off properly everything would be re-synched.

Getting it out of park without the key will be something of a catch 22.

Originally Posted By: eljefino
You reefed the key out before the park sensor mechanical cable engaged. If you could manage to get it in drive then park then turned off properly everything would be re-synched.

Getting it out of park without the key will be something of a catch 22.

It's a stick not an auto

Same difference as this here, I've had to override interlocks to move cars and jump start them before.
The switch on the brake pedal is linked to the ignition switch interlock solenoid on your Manual equipped car.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: FL_Rob
Originally Posted By: SuperDave456
Brake light sensor?

Not trying to jack the thread,but when did they start using brake light interlocks on vehicles? In an emergency ,if your lights happen to be out just at the wrong time ,there's no way to start the car?

Been that way for a while. Thank the lawyers that went after Audi in the 80s...

After Audi lost (when they didn't deserve to) the lawsuits on "unintended acceleration", manufacturers started to put brake/shift interlocks in cars. Have to step on the brake to get the car to shift from Park.

Systems include cables, and some use the brake light switch. Not the brake lights themselves, but the brake light circuit.....

Last edited:
Check youtube, saw a video where the gent hit the key lightly with a mallet to get his key to turn.

Last edited:
Car is in the shop with the work schedule I have i don't have time to take care of it and the more time i have to drive the truck the more fuel I'm spending. They said they would get to it tomorrow am.

It's just as well. If that little thingy that keeps the tumblers from falling out got bent it gets a little messy.

Car is fixed that was the most money I've ever spent at a shop. Had to tumble the new cylinder and all. But it's good now.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back