local linux mail servr, would lk to cache ISP mail

Status
Not open for further replies.
Have a dedicated linux laptop on my local home LAN. Presently sitting there running and using 16 watts (per kill-a-watt meter
smile.gif
).

I'd like to add a mail server/service that:

1) checks my cable ISP mail every 10 minutes or so, and downloads said mail to a local directory... and

2) serves the mail to my user computers, when they're running, at the enhanced speed of my local LAN. I would simply add an entry for the laptop to my email client(s) so both the ISP (very new un-downloaded mail) and laptop are checked. Messages would be in one place or the other. Persons using my system (eg the wife) would be impressed with the incrdible speed. And if the cable goes down intermittently I've got local copies and access.

Have found solutions that take about 8 programs to configure, harsh on my noob learning curve. Searching for what I want, and describing such, is difficult. So what is what I want to do, called?

I think you want to use fetchmail.

And qpopper.

Set fetchmail up to download your email to your mail file.

Qpopper is the pop3 server, which should allow your mail clients access to whatever fetchmail has downloaded to your mail file.

Assuming debian, mail files are in /var/mail/(username)

Yes, fetchmail and qpopper (or any other pop3 server like pop3d from the GNU archives) are exactly what you want. You'll have some minor configurations with fetchmail, but the pop3 daemon is really zero config if fetchmail is set up correctly.

Wayne

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back