Local Dealer with Hundreds of Used VW TDI

Saw a billboard today returning to Illinois from MO and put it together with what I saw parked at a local mall. Our local VW dealer has over used VW TDI vehicles for sale:

https://www.auffenbergvolkswagen.com/used-vehicles/#action=im_ajax_call&perform=get_results&fueltype%5B%5D=Diesel+Fuel&page=1&make%5B%5D=Volkswagen

Explains the cars I saw parked at the local mall, rows and rows of used VWs, all appeared to have TDI badges.

Not the best photography as I was shooting from the drivers seat of the 99 MGM.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

But apparently, if you want them, you can find them in St Clair County, IL

All of those are probably vehicles VW bought back from customers after they were caught cheating on emissions testing, the one you ran the CF on is definitely one. It was titled in the manufacturers name on 4-20-17 and then had the emissions control software updated on 3-24-20. VW was storing thousands of these vehicles at the Silverdome, and several were stolen from there and ended up at an auto auction in Indiana. I was involved in that investigation and became very familiar with the federal case.

I wasn't about to click on all 700.

That's what I figured since they are all 2012-2014, IIRC.

I looked at several of the VINs are carfax, some are buyback where they stopped accumulating mileage around 2017 and some of them just seem to be recent trade ins. What were the terms of the buyback, most of them seem to be corporate vehicles, some fleet manager might have got a nice bonus one year

2/3 of them are fairly high mileage examples. 80K miles+. None of them have a manual 6 speed which means these are leftovers after the cherry picking by other dealers. I bought two 2015 TDI's that were new in 2017, never licensed. 50 miles on one and a couple hundred on the other. They both have the 12 year 162k mile warranty which covers just about everything. The cars MSRP's were $29K and $26K. I paid $20K and $18K. 0 apr for 6 years. Giving them away basically. Been happy with my purchases.
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Last edited:
We've been wondering whatever happened to my aunt's TDI. A Google search doesn't bring anything up, but maybe it was scrapped? Not sure how to look up what happened.

VIN:
3VWJL7AT6DM674375

Originally Posted by Nick1994
We've been wondering whatever happened to my aunt's TDI. A Google search doesn't bring anything up, but maybe it was scrapped? Not sure how to look up what happened.

VIN:
3VWJL7AT6DM674375

It's not for sale, at least not at a bigger dealership, You could get a carfax report for it but I doubt it's worth $40 to find out.

I wondered what would happen. I figured they would be resold in South America.

Might be interesting to look for a good one. The sitting doesnt bother me much, they were pretty new cars.

I know my brother traded his back with over 100k on it, for a very good price.

There's a parking lot near me that has had maybe 200+ TDIs for a couple years. Nothing ever seems to move, the stock doesn't seem to get bigger or smaller and they mostly stayed buried in deep snow all winter.

It's next to the one and only VW dealer within 150 miles. That same dealer only lists about 20 used TDIs, so it's definitely not part of their inventory.

Originally Posted by blufeb95
Originally Posted by Nick1994

VIN:
3VWJL7AT6DM674375

It's not for sale, at least not at a bigger dealership, You could get a carfax report for it but I doubt it's worth $40 to find out.

If you search, there's still a few places out there that sell them for $5-$6.

https://mbworld.org/forums/market/761195

Somewhere. They were not stashed at the mall for the past three years. They have been at the mall a few months.

Originally Posted by Propflux01
They been sitting this whole time?

Originally Posted by farrarfan1
All of those are probably vehicles VW bought back from customers after they were caught cheating on emissions testing, the one you ran the CF on is definitely one. It was titled in the manufacturers name on 4-20-17 and then had the emissions control software updated on 3-24-20. VW was storing thousands of these vehicles at the Silverdome, and several were stolen from there and ended up at an auto auction in Indiana. I was involved in that investigation and became very familiar with the federal case.

Did you buy one of the stolen ones from the auction? That would be a headache.

Back